Bus breaks down during return from Sophomore ropes course trip

On Monday 19, 2011 at around 5 p.m., members of the class of 2014 were stranded on the side of Highway 17 coming back from the ropes course in Santa Cruz due to mechanical problems.

The group of around 50 sophomores and teachers were returning from a day of bonding and teamwork at a ropes course in Santa Cruz. Students had spent the day at APEX Adventures jumping off of trees, walking on tightropes, and doing various leadership exercises.

Halfway through the drive back, a beeping sound could be heard distinctly coming from the front of the bus. Within minutes, the bus was pulled over and students had piled out into a roadside parking lot close to the summit of the Santa Cruz Mountains.

During the hour that they were stranded, the sophomores spent their time sharing chips, drinking juice, and talking with their friends. After roughly an hour, a second school bus belonging to Harker, which had just dropped off the other half of the students that went to Santa Cruz, arrived to pick up the sophomores and their teachers.