Winter Concert incorporates a global touch in annual performance

Sprinkled with an international flair, the annual Winter Concert showcased the efforts of the instrumental program on Friday, January 14, at the Blackford Theater.

The 5 to 6 p.m. concert featured the Lower and Middle School ensembles, while the 7:30 p.m. concert presented the Upper School Jazz Band and Orchestra.

The academic year has involved a series of exchanges with Japanese sister school Tamagawa Gakuen, which has “one of the top instrumental programs,” according to Orchestra and Jazz Band Conductor Christopher Florio.

Florio had traveled to Tamagawa in October, and Tamagawa exchange students Miyu Kondo (12) and Marina Saito (12) joined the Jazz Band this past Monday, January 10, and will be staying for one month.

Miyu acknowledged that seeing the score for the concert only on Tuesday was a challenge, but she nevertheless enjoyed the experience.

“[Playing at the Winter Concert] was very fun, [but also] hard,” Miyu said.

The Jazz Band performed the pieces Tuxedo Junction, Bones for Basie, Someone, and You Can Have It.

After the intermission, the Orchestra played the “Overture to La Forza del Destino”; the first movement of Symphony No. 9 in C Major, D.944; the second movement of Symphony No. 1 in C Minor, Op. 68; and “Danse Bacchanale from Samson and Dalila, Op. 47.”

Towards the close of the event, Florio said the Winter Concert “[took] music to another level” and appreciated the hard work of all the Jazz Band and Orchestra members.

Justin Gerard (10) enjoyed the concert and quality of the performances.

“I thought every person in all the events was extremely talented,” Justin said. “I’m not sure about other schools, but I know that we have a very, very top Orchestra and Jazz Band.”

Featured in trombone solos, Benjamin Tien (12) was pleased with Jazz Band’s performance and bond as an ensemble.

“I think [this Winter Concert is] probably our best performance yet,” Benjamin said. “Our sound was really tight, everyone’s solos were really good, and we just came together as a group.”