JHNS provides messages for students affected by Fukushima disaster

Junior Kimberly Ma writes her own personal message to the Towa Lower and Middle School. Messages varied from student to student, either expressing their sympathies or introducing themselves to the kids.

From February 25 to March 1, Japanese National Honor Society (JNHS) encourages students to write cards for the Towa Lower and Middle School students who were afflicted by the Fukushima nuclear disaster two years ago.

During all lunch periods, students can design and decorate postcards that bear specific messages of encouragement or list aspects of Japan that they like. JNHS members will translate the messages to Japanese, so the Towa students can understand the handwritten notes.

The moral support the club provides this year is different from the fundraisers it sponsored in previous years. Instead of supplying financial aid to fix the debris and rubble, the club changed its focus toward a more intimate standpoint.

“It’s not really a fundraiser, but more of like psychological support,” JNHS Co-President Kimberly Ma (11) said. “It’s mostly discrimination [towards] the Fukushima kids who are treated badly because of where they came from. They’re treated as if the radiation is going to pass to other kids, and some of them are really lonely and really sad because they got split up or their neighbors are far away from them. We’re just trying to cheer them up.”

Although Claudia Tischler (11) questions why the club chose not to fundraise this year, she believes that writing encouragement letters is “definitely a good alternative.”

“I’m half Japanese, and I wish that they get the resources and support they need and that they can go home soon,” she said.

Several students who heard about the event during the club’s school meeting announcement decided to support the cause.

“I definitely like the cause and think it’s important to maintain our outreach in schools internationally, especially ones who have suffered tragedy,” Sophia Shatas (10) said.

JHNS hopes that Upper School students could learn from this event and change their perspective towards the Fukushima Prefecture. According to JNHS Co-President Indica Sur (12), many students have a negative stereotype of the damaged area.

“[Fukushima] really is a beautiful place even though there’s still amounts of radiation left in the area. We want people to see the place for what it actually is,” she said.

The club plans to gather all the messages by the rest of the week and send them off in time for the two-year anniversary of the tsunami on March 11.