Going once, going twice, sold: Live auction bookends Fashion Show

Charity Benefits auctioneer Damon Casatico says his catchphrase to motivate audience members to bid. Parents raised their paddles to bid for items during the lunch auction show.

“Brbrbrbrbrbrbrbrbrbr…. SOLD!” chanted Damon Casatico, who led the live auctions during both the lunch and dinner shows at the school’s annual fashion show, Mission: Possible.

Founder and president of Charity Benefit Auctions Casatico, back as an auctioneer by popular demand, has led nine out the 10 fashion show auctions. His energetic demeanor motivated many bidders to raise their paddles to offer bids and elicited other audience members to laugh in unison.

This year, rather than having one only at the night show, an auction was also conducted during the lunch show. A total of 10 items were auctioned off during the lunch show, including family trips to Discovery Bay and Disney World, as well as unique opportunities such as being a teacher for a day or recording a professional CD.

During the dinner show, 19 more items were auctioned, including an internship at Prysm, a labrador puppy, and a trip to the set of Iron Man.

Many students were excited to watch the auction items and bidders.

“It’s interesting to see what items are sold and how much they go for,” said Wendy Shwe (12), who was at her first dinner show.

All of the auction items were donated to the school by companies, alumni, teachers, parents, and others. Proceeds were given to fundraise for the school. Prices ranged from a couple hundred dollars to thousands.

Several attendants were glad that they were able to support the school by participating in the auction.

“Harker’s such a great school,” said Ayman Sayed, father of Adam Sayed (1), who won the first bid. “I feel great contributing to the fundraiser. The fashion show is really moving [and] an awesome experience.”

Some winners, such as Sandeep Vij, father of Sameer Vij (11) and Sarina Vij (12), who won a ride in two sports cars, bidded not only because he was interested in the prizes, but also because he wanted to help the school.

“It’s good to support the school; I like sports cars,” he said. “It’s exciting [and fun to win]. We’ll have a good time [and] I’m looking forward to it.”

The annual live auction brought both an opening and a closing to the fashion show.