Varsity boys soccer wins third game of the season

Sophomore Nikhil Kishore inbounds the ball on a corner. The team let in one goal during the game and finished preseason with two wins and a loss.

In its third game of the season, the Varsity boys soccer team defeated KIPP San Jose Collegiate at home 3-1 to improve to 2-1 in the season.

Senior Kiran Arimilli and Jeremiah Anderson (10) scored in the first half, assisted by Oisin Coveney (9) and Jeffrey Hanke (11), respectively. Junior Kevin Moss’s score on a header, assisted by Jeremiah, sealed the victory in the second half.

Assistant coach Iman Siadat pointed to the players’ energy and focus as the main reasons the team won the game.

“We had many scoring opportunities; they were both direct, one versus one, but also indirect, crosses and through the middle,” he said. “Our group is a great mix of players. We have a few guys who play club soccer at De Anza Force, and they really help strengthen the team. Others are great role models and leaders, people who have great desire and passion for the game. We have very high expectations for this season.”

Siadat lists Oisin, Jeremiah, Jeffrey, Kevin, as well as seniors Deniz Celik and Simar Mangat as this season’s top performers.

This victory boosted the team’s morale following a 1 to 2 loss to Saratoga High School, its first defeat of the season.

“We played together in the middle, and it showed through, leading to our success,” Varsity player Sravan Rajathilak (11) said. “I thought we could have converted on more opportunities, but the important thing is that we created enough of them and converted on most of them to get the win.”

This win ends the team’s preseason, and league play will start at home next Wednesday against Eastside College Prep.