Japanese National Honor Society and Japan Club hold joint earthquake fundraiser

The joint fundraiser held by the Japanese National Honor Society (JNHS) and Japan Club began on Monday, February 6 to raise money for the Onagawa Night School.

According Daniel Pak (10), the money will be donated to help rebuild Onagawa Night School, which was devastated by the earthquake that struck Japan in 2011, so that students will be able to continue their classes and prepare for their high school examinations.

“We wanted to send the money not to some random entity, so we decided to pick a specific school, and chose the Onagawa Night School since it had been heavily impacted by the earthquake,” Vice President of JNHS Rachelle Koch (12) said.

To raise money, JNHS and Japan Club members are selling tote bags, pins, candy, and wristbands.

“Recently, San Jose has banned plastic bags, so we thought it would be relevant and cute to sell tote bags,” Indica Sur (11), Secretary of both JNHS and Japan Club, said.

Since the cause involves students in high school, people like Caroline Lai (11) jumped to donate since the troubles are “something that could have happened to her.”

“I decided to buy a bag because supporting Japan is a good cause. People over there really need [the money] right now, and I feel that I should give a little to those who are trying to get a good education,” Caroline said.

The fundraiser will continue during lunch and before and after school for the rest of the week.