A Passionate Profession: Harry Hamburg visits 23 student journalists from California

AP Photojournalist Harry Hamburg poses with the group of TALON and Winged Post students after his frank discussion and interview while the group was staying in Tattingstone, England.

When asked for advice by an aspiring photojournalist, Harry Hamburg, 66, looked straight at her and declared, “Go to medical school.” With his sharp wit and unending store of anecdotes, the photographer can easily capture an audience’s attention from the start of a conversation. His easygoing and determined personality explains the success of his career.

As a self-described “semi-retired” photojournalist, Hamburg has worked with numerous publications: The New York Daily News, the Associated Press, and others challenged him with enjoyable dynamic assignments.

“I could come into New York and go to a TV studio…shoot a picture of a chat show…go to a fire in the Bronx…go to Yankee stadium and cover a baseball game in the afternoon; we did everything,” Hamburg said.

His success as a photojournalist has led him around the world, following celebrities, flying with politicians, and even being interviewed by high school journalists in a secluded English manor.

Arm draped casually over his white wicker loveseat, Hamburg sat comfortably and shared his experiences and wisdom.

As he explained the captivating stories behind each of his photos, brisk words and facial expressions portrayed his fascination with his occupation. His New York accent clipped off the end of his words; he spoke quickly and firmly, with the kind of confidence that accompanies experience.

“You can tell just by his nature and the way he talks, he is a very aggressive person. And while some people will sit back, he’ll get out there,” commented Hamburg’s friend Patricia Berry.

Determination and assertiveness guided his ability to succeed and capture memorable moments. As described by Berry, Hamburg was unafraid to push the limits, snap his desired photos, and face admonishment by authorities before retreating into the crowd.

“The one thing you never want to do is tell Harry Hamburg ‘no’,” stated another friend of Hamburg.

As his disposition enabled him to excel, he further emphasized the importance of connections and rapport in his profession. His sociable personality helped him form relationships with prominent political figures such as Bill Clinton and Joe Biden.

“Washington [D.C.] is an access town….everybody knows the President of the United States. When the President of the United States knows you, that’s how you get photos. That’s how you get in,” he explained.

Hamburg stressed the importance of trust, a key component of building relationships, as it differentiates the paparazzi from professionals. To maintain integrity in a field that is invasive by nature, Hamburg compromised with certain politicians or sent free prints to his subjects.

After years as a photojournalist, he continues to photograph, working for the AP three days a week when in the United States.

“I would probably do it for nothing if I could,” Hamburg commented.

Though his occupation demands constant submission of photos to the AP archive, his passion for photography does not stop with his work. In addition to his various shots of Michael Jackson, Hillary Clinton, and George W. Bush, among others, his “happy snaps” include photos of couples kissing, passersby sitting with pigeons, and naked mannequins strewn amidst crates.

From photographing politicians to strangers around him, Hamburg consistently pushes himself to take photographs from unique angles that capture unusual moments and distinguish himself from other photographers. Reflecting his sociable personality and fascination with an adventurous lifestyle, his pursuit of photojournalism allows him to merge his character with something he excels at.