Club Fair connects students with new opportunities

Margaret Cartee
Ritu Belani (12) discusses the Language and Linguistics Club with Anoushka Chakravarty (10) outside the Athletic Center (AC) during Club Fair on Tuesday. The Language and Linguistics Club hosts activities like the North American Computational Linguistics Open (NACLO) competition and language puzzles.

Upper school students showcased their student-run organizations to prospective members during Club Fair on Tuesday outside the Rothschild Performing Arts Center (RPAC).

This year’s Club Fair featured 90 clubs, affinity groups and societies, marking an increase from last year’s 75 organizations. Club officers set up tri-fold boards during morning office hours and the start of lunch before welcoming students to their booths during the later half of the lunch period. Many booths generated interest in their clubs through interactive displays, like Women in Business which offered White Rabbit candy to new members or Model United Nations which invited students to play jeopardy.

“We offered candy for answering trivia questions correctly,” Civic Tech Club President Krish Nachnani (10) said. “That was a huge hit. We also got very good speakers [for this year’s meetings] including Rishi Kumar.”

Andrew Liang (11) smiles with a Key Club bee cutout outside the Rothschild Performing Arts Center (RPAC) during Club Fair on Tuesday. This year’s Club Fair featured 90 student-run organizations. (Margaret Cartee)

New clubs like Craft Club, STEM4ALL and Science of Sobriety Club also had the opportunity to showcase themselves to potential members during Club Fair.

“We got a lot of people interested in our club,” Craft Club Vice President Ruby Johnson (12) said. “We gave out a lot of origami paper, a lot of candy, which was very successful. I think people are generally happy about Craft Club and excited to have a fun, enjoyable space to just do a little bit of art.”

Clubs collected new members’ emails through club-specific interest lists or HarkerDev’s new activities website which allows students to sign up for club email lists with the click of a button. Many frosh took advantage of the opportunity to join new clubs and hear about clubs they were interested in joining.

“It was really informative, especially to walk by and be able to look at a club and be like, ‘that looks interesting,’” Ameera Ramzan (9) said. “I really like that they do the Club Fair, so you can see as a new student or frosh all the options you have.”

Andy Chung (11) and Claire Luo (12) hand out flyers for Oeconomia outside the Rothschild Performing Arts Center (RPAC) during Club Fair on Tuesday. Oeconomia advertised their speaker events and student-led magazine Equilibrium. (Katie Tcheng)