Upper school welcomes parents on Back to School Day

Intro+to+Journalism+teacher+Whitney+Huang+speaks+to+parents+during+sixth+period+in+Main+5.+Back+to+School+Day+was+held+on+Saturday+to+give+faculty+the+opportunity+to+introduce+parents+to+their+childrens+classes+this+school+year.+

Alysa Suleiman

Intro to Journalism teacher Whitney Huang speaks to parents during sixth period in Main 5. Back to School Day was held on Saturday to give faculty the opportunity to introduce parents to their children’s classes this school year.

by Mark Hu, Winged Post Managing Editor

Upper school faculty, teachers and student leadership hosted the annual Back to School Day at the Saratoga campus on Saturday for parents to attend abbreviated classes and meet with teachers.

Student clubs and organizations spoke to parents from 9 a.m. to 9:40 a.m. in the Donor Plaza outside the Rothschild Performing Arts Center (RPAC), and ten-minute classes ran from 10:15 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. 

Due to limited parking spaces on the Saratoga campus, parents were required to park at the Blackford campus. Shuttles ran between the two campuses for transportation.

Upper school economics teacher Dean Lizardo views Back to School Day as an opportunity to show parents what it’s like to be a student in his class.

“[On Back to School Day], I try to give the parents a taste of what it’s like to be in my classroom, so I do things like bellwork, and I ask parents questions,” Lizardo said. “I give them an idea of how I teach in class, and for the most part, [they] seem to really enjoy that. My ultimate goal is for them to be able to say ‘This is really cool—I would want to be in this class.’”

A line of parents wait to board the shuttle to the Blackford campus after the end of seventh period. Due to limited parking spaces at the upper school, parents were required to first park at the Blackford campus before taking the shuttle to the upper school for Back to School Day. (Alysa Suleiman)

Reporting by Vishnu Kannan.