Emily Tan

Emily Tan, Winged Post Co-Editor-in-Chief

Emily Tan (12) is the co-editor-in-chief of The Winged Post. This is her fourth year on staff, previously serving as the Winged Post features editor, and she hopes to grow along with the staff to showcase stories in a visually striking way. When she’s not writing or fangirling over mindblowing newspaper designs, Emily enjoys rearranging her room with the moral support of her cats, attempting the latest nail art trends and taste-testing variations of matcha drinks.

All content by Emily Tan
“I’ve found that economics stretches into every corner of how society works: the institutional level, behavioral level, the rational human being. Like game theory, it’s a really interesting way to analyze the decisions being made on multiple levels, and it also helps me not make impulsive decisions that I would be making otherwise, Catherine He (22) said.

Humans of Harker: Finding equilibrium

by Emily Tan, Winged Post Co-Editor-in-Chief
July 13, 2022
“As I learned painting more and more, I realized that everything is infinite. The more you look, the more you see, and then you can see life as more beautiful. A favorite quote of mine by Henri Matisse is, ‘There will always be flowers for those who want to see them,’ and thats one important thing painting has taught me, even though its technically you sitting out this canvas with a brush in your hand, Michelle Liu (22) said.

Humans of Harker: The art of living

July 12, 2022
Hygrangea macrophylla (hygrangea) flowers bloom as groundskeepers Urdelin Justo and Jose Hernandez prune shrubs in the quad on Sept. 16.

Our garden, our home

by Emily Tan, Julie Shi, and Edward Huang
December 3, 2021
Dancers in the Harker Dance Company stand on props in the first few measures of the 2021 dance production. After the senior members of Harker Dance Company opened the number, the rest of Harker Dance Company and Kinetic Crew joined for their segments.

Leaping “Outside the Box”

by Emily Tan, Winged Post Features Editor
May 20, 2021
Each member of our journalism staff has approached the pandemic in their own way, sometimes together and sometimes separate. Hear the voices of our program and experience how we overcame the unknown of 2020.

How we overcame the unknown of 2020

by Harker Journalism Staff
April 17, 2021
“A large part of how I grow, especially when Im interacting with other people, is through being a good listener. I like being a listener, too; Ive learned a lot from listening to other people. Listening seems really simple, but you can contribute a lot to someone else by just being a good listener, whether its support or learning from them,” Betsy Tian (12) said.

Humans of Harker: Diving deep for understanding

April 12, 2021
Music Monday is a new installation featuring a different category of songs on a weekly basis.

Music Monday: Celebrate AAPI with Aquila

March 22, 2021
“Its nice to almost not know what youre going to write about until your pen touches the paper. Theres something about writing where, for me personally, Im able to explore parts of what Im thinking about that I wouldnt have been able to even know without writing. Im able to find things that I didnt even know I was worrying about or that I was happy about until I write,” Sara Yen (12) said.

Humans of Harker: Writing for the right reasons

March 15, 2021
A fire broke out at the largest vaccine manufacturer in the world, the Serum Institute of India, on Jan. 21, leaving at least five people dead.

Global Headlines (Issue 4)

by Isha Moorjani, Asst. News Editor
February 15, 2021
Only the beginning.

Editorial Cartoon: Only the beginning

January 22, 2021
American jazz pianist Taylor Eigsti speaks on the effects of the pandemic on musicians. “To really understand the production of what goes on to put a show on, it really is a deep dive, since we kind of have to do this stuff ourselves now,” Eigsti said. “We have to wear a lot of hats; we have to learn how to be a sound engineer [and] a lighting person.”

All jazzed up

by Emily Tan, Features Editor
January 27, 2021
My pandemic workspace consists of my table, binders, laptop, earbuds, water bottle, pens and pencils, pencil case, my iPad that I use for drawing, my journal to keep me organized, whichever book Im reading and other various small items.

Stories from quarantine: Our pandemic workspaces

December 2, 2020
This year, students preserved the Halloween spirit through their costumes, many of which were homemade, transforming themselves into movie characters, fairies, and even a Christmas tree.

Spooky sightings

November 2, 2020
Hand sanitizer and COVID-19 guidelines at The Table in San Jose. “I thought that people would be really excited to come and eat here, but even from the get-go you still have people that were going to be unhappy. Unfortunately, sometimes it is taken out on people like essential workers,” manager Alisha Lorenz said. 

Pulse of the People: Local restaurant adapts to pandemic

November 1, 2020
“I really want to get to a point where I can tell other people stories and even my own [story]. I really want to provide good, realistic stories about real people and good representation in kids shows. I really want to get that satisfaction of creating a story and seeing it come to fruition and putting it out there for the rest of the world to see and making other people happy and feel represented,” Elliot Kampmeier (12) said.

Humans of Harker: Making his mark

October 30, 2020
Load More Stories