Varsity softball loses 11-12 to Notre Dame in home opener game

Junior Taylor Lam follows through after a swing against Notre Dame. Softball played all their home games at the Blackford campus.

by Kathy Fang, Photo Editor

Varsity softball lost their first home game against Notre Dame High School yesterday at 3:30 p.m. with a score of 11-12.

After losing their first game of the season to Palo Alto with a score of 13-16 on Feb. 28, the girls suffered another close loss in their overall score to 0-2.

Junior Taylor Lam hit a home run in the first inning while Mahi Gurram (11), Anika Rajamani (11), Kristin Leblanc (12) and Cameron Zell (11) also had multiple runs throughout the course of the game.

This year, biology teacher Dr. Matthew Harley, who plays softball himself, joined the team as assistant coach to Raul Rios, the head coach.

“I play softball myself, I love the game, and every time I’ve gone and watched our softball team they’re just so enthusiastic, they’re having so much fun,” Dr. Harley said. “I love Coach Rios’ style and attitude about the team that I just want to be part of it.”

In preparation for their coming game, Dr. Harley and Rios, along with assistant coaches Tim Wancewicz and Megan Regan, will continue perfecting technique and plays with the team as they work to strengthen the morale of the team as well.

“For me, the difficulty today in practice, tomorrow in practice, is the psychological aspect,” Dr. Harley said. “We have to make sure that we have confidence in ourselves to help us keep the lead, but instead of thinking about that as ‘we need to keep the lead’ and then putting more pressure on ourselves, just to play, to keep doing what we were doing the whole rest of the game.”

The team is scheduled to travel to Fremont High School to play their third game of the season this Friday.