Sara Yen, Winged Post Editor-in-Chief

Sara Yen (12) is the co-editor-in-chief of the Winged Post. For her fourth year on staff, she hopes to continue to grow as a journalist and designer. In her free time, Sara loves to adventure with friends and family and play lacrosse. 

All content by Sara Yen
“You cant do [Pokemon] alone. I think of the phrase, ‘You gotta catch them all.’ You can catch them all, but you cant catch them all by yourself. You got to have your friends there to bounce ideas off of, to create new strategies and make it all super enjoyable,” Preston Ellis (12) said.

Humans of Harker: Friends, the true trump card

by Sara Yen, Winged Post Co-Editor-in-Chief
April 26, 2021
“Im someone who overthinks a lot of things, but the one thing in my life that I dont overthink is why I do the things I do. Its more like I do them to the best of my ability — how can I learn the most of [what] I somehow stumbled upon. You make the best of what you have. It goes back to the idea of spontaneity and living in the moment,” Arusha Patil (12) said.

Humans of Harker: A world of facets

April 15, 2021
Students shoved newspapers in the cracks of the journalism room doors to practice deterring intruders on March 3, 2020, a week before the pandemic started. As we have conducted no drills in the past year, something as mundane as practicing safety protocol still stirs yearning for the way things used to be.

How we overcame the unknown of 2020

by Harker Journalism Staff
April 17, 2021
“[In videography,] you can be as creative as you want. Im not a very outward person, and filmmaking is one way to express what crazy thoughts [I have]. I thought it was really cool to just [use what] I took from watching TV shows and put that into reality,” Amar Karoshi (12) said.

Humans of Harker: Creativity through cinematography

February 5, 2021
I like my pens inky, my paper smooth and my pencils precise. Fancy writing supplies don’t necessarily give rise to magnificent works or penmanship, but, hey, they look and feel cool.

Sara’s Stationery: Pens

by Sara Yen, Winged Post Editor-in-Chief
December 4, 2020
Fun pens and pencils are my essentials in staying organized, whether writing in my planner or correcting homework. Although pricey, I enjoy Kuru Toga as my favorite mechanical pencil brand for its precision.

Stories from quarantine: Our pandemic workspaces

by Emily Tan, Winged Post Features Editor
December 2, 2020
Screen Shot 2020-10-01 at 6.18.13 PM

Television series adapt to COVID-19

by Sally Zhu, Humans of Harker Profiler
October 5, 2020
Extended periods of screen time can exacerbate the psychological challenges brought by the physical limitations of sheltering-in-place. “Making sure that we get away from that two-dimensional and [move] into that three-dimensional [is important],” counselor Lori Kohan said.

How to stay zippy with Zoom

by Sara Yen, Features Editor
April 29, 2020
“Talking to all these people [from around the globe] opened up my eyes at a young age. There’s a lot of respect going around for each other’s culture [in places around the world], and that shaped my mind in how we want to embrace everyone. That’s why I really hope to tear down stereotypes and also try to encourage others to tear down stereotypes because it really limits how we interact with each other,” Gloria Zhang (12) said.

Humans of Harker: Embracing everyone

by Sara Yen, Winged Post Features Editor
February 6, 2020
“Jazz is all about improvising mainly, and when you improvise, its your voice and your melodies and your notes that you play. If Im in a certain mood or if Im feeling a certain sort of way, I would play catered to that. I play my style catered to that tone,” Brendan Wong (12) said.

Humans of Harker: Finding the right melody

by Sara Yen, Features Editor
December 18, 2019
“The universe is huge. Whatever ripple your little sand grain makes in this pond of a universe, those ripples are insignificant in the grand scheme of things. Those consequences that you think are going to crush down on you arent that big when you are looking at the universes scale. And you might say, Why not just stay in bed then and do nothing because nothing I do is worth it. Well, then why not do everything then. Its kind of a way of looking at [life]. Just go crazy,” Jin Tuan (12) said.

Humans of Harker: Just go crazy

by Sara Yen, Features Editor
November 4, 2019
Following the first referendum on June 23, 2016, Brexit has undergone three failed votes, and continues to be held in contention by the British Parliament. Prime Minister Theresa May continues to push for Brexit, and it is scheduled for a fourth, and most likely, final, vote on June 3.

Everything you need to know about Brexit

by Sara Yen, Assistant Features Editor
May 16, 2019
Stop repeating the names of shooters

Stop repeating the names of shooters

by Sara Yen, Assistant Features Editor
April 25, 2019
In lowercase serif font, Bone Kettle’s simple yet modern sign hangs in front of the restaurant. The eatery is located on 67 N Raymond Ave in Old Town Pasadena nearby the California Institute of Technology and the Metro Gold Line.

Bone Kettle serves fresh, bold Southeast Asian flavors

by Sara Yen, Assistant Features Editor
March 9, 2019
“I like learning weird stuff about Shintoism and communism. No one is going to test me on that ever, but I still do it just because its cool to know, its fun to know, and currently I havent explored myself enough to really know why I think its fun. Im not sure if I will [ever know], partially because Ive stopped caring that that question is important. Ive recognized that my love of China or East Asia and my interest in academia is just something ingrained in my person, and I dont think its necessary to explore why that is because I know that it just is,” Logan Bhamidipaty (12) said.

Humans of Harker: Expectations and ideologies

by Sara Yen, Asst. Features Editor
January 28, 2019
“I’m just a piece in life, but I think people who want to create connections is something that should be valued. Drawing on my own experiences, coming here, being new, doing all this stuff with basketball that I care about, bridging gaps between people with different values, different interests, different backgrounds—I think thats how just in general we all get better at some aspect of life, better at understanding, better at valuing people. I think on a surface level, yeah, I can play basketball; yeah, I can do nonprofit work; yeah, I can do this, I can do that, but were all going towards the same goal: understanding each other, living for each others passions and supporting people,” Akhila Ramgiri (12) said.

Humans of Harker: Bridging gaps

by Sara Yen, Asst. Features Editor
November 26, 2018
Lilly Anderson (12) performs a flip during a halftime cheer performance during the homecoming game. Cheer held their senior night yesterday at 6:45 before the home football game against Oakland Military Institute.

Cheer: Behind the scenes

by Sara Yen, Asst. Features Editor
October 14, 2018
“Each piece that I play, when Im playing it, its more than the music. Every piece has its own historical meaning, especially for classical music. Sometimes the composers were trying to express different sorts of meanings that were relative to the historical context during the time, so I think its really interesting to study that. Studying music and playing music in relation to history, and especially when Im on orchestra tours, and being able to play a piece that was composed in that specific country, is extremely cool. For my Mitra topic, Im doing [research] related to the French Revolution and opera. Ive always been interested in the intertwined  nature of history and music,” Constance Horng (12) said.

Humans of Harker: Beyond the labels

by Sara Yen, Asst. Features Editor
October 10, 2018
Load More Stories