A Day in the Life of: Facilities

Every issue of A Day in the Life features a different group of people on campus.

This is the second issue of A Day in the Life. Every issue of A Day in the Life features a different group of people on campus.

by Gloria Zhang, Sara Yen, Erica Cai, Esha Goyal, Irina Malyugina, and Catherine Feng

This piece was originally published in the pages of The Winged Post on April 17, 2019.

Erica Cai
Jose Hernandez, a gardener, drove a utility cart on the path near Main. The facilities staff also drives golf carts.

Erica Cai
Security guard Rogel Esguerra helped direct traffic in the parking lot. There are five security guards in the facilities staff.

Esha Goyal
Urdelin Justo, part of landscaping, used a leaf blower to clear the path on March 13. There are two landscaping members on the facilities staff.

Gloria Zhang
Security staff Ashley Del Alto watches for cars entering Harker. During the day, she either manages traffic at the front of Harker or goes around for surveillance.

Gloria Zhang
Maintenance assistant Thomas Downard assembled a kit. During the day, he is in charge of set up around the school, such as bulletin board designs.

Sara Yen
Urdelin Justo, a groundskeeper, repainted the blue lines on Davis Field. The blue lines are the field lines for lacrosse.

Irina Malyugina
Jose Hernandez, part of landscaping, revved a weed wacker near the exit of campus on March 13. Landscaping is one of the multiple positions in the facilities staff.

Sara Yen
J.R. Del Alto, the head of facilities, carried a step ladder in his right arm. There are four members in the facilities staff.

Catherine Feng
Security guard Roberto Pena sat in a golf cart in the loading zone near the Athletic Center. Security is one of the positions in the facilities staff.

Irina Malyugina
Atop a lift, head of facilities J.R. Del Alto fixed a light fixture in Nichols on April 10. The facilities staff comprises of facilities, security, custodians and landscaping.