Students and staff share Super Bowl LVIII predictions

Chiefs Quarterback Patrick Mahomes faces off against the 49ers’ Brock Purdy. The two teams will play in Super Bowl 58 on Sunday. (Ananya Sriram)

Excitement rings high as the days count down to the game that will crown the champion of the NFL. Fans gear up with friends to watch the Kansas City Chiefs and San Francisco 49ers battle for the NFL title during Super Bowl LVIII in Las Vegas, Nev. on Feb. 11. 

This year marks the Chiefs’ sixth trip to the Super Bowl and an opportunity to win their second consecutive championship. Clinching this victory would make the Chiefs the first team to defend their title since the New England Patriots in the 2003-2004 season. 

Riding on the shoulders of a successful year, the Chiefs also led the American Football Conference – Western Division in wins. Their quarterback Patrick Mahomes boasts two NFL MVP awards, with his prior Super Bowl victory earning him the award for the 2022 season.

Despite the Chiefs’ reigning position, the 49ers’ stronger defensive line may give them the edge and help them win their sixth Super Bowl title. Longtime 49ers fan Daphne Avkarogullari (12) highlighted the Chiefs’ weakness down the sideline, which could prove crucial to turning the odds in San Francisco’s favor.

“I don’t think the Chiefs have a strong enough wide receiver to get enough momentum on offense,” Daphne said. “The reason the Lions were able to score on us is because they have a good run game. But Pacheco, the Chiefs’ running back, can only last so long. The Chiefs don’t have a stellar running game and our pass defense is definitely better than our run defense.”

With a 17-point second half comeback over the Detroit Lions, ultimately winning 34-31, the 49ers earned their place in the game under the leadership of new quarterback Brock Purdy. The last pick of the NFL draft in 2022, Purdy started off the season as the third quarterback but made a name for himself, even posting a perfect passer rating this year, following the injuries to both the Niners’ starting and backup quarterbacks. 

The 49ers succumbed to the Philadelphia Eagles in the National Football Conference Championship last year, losing out on the opportunity to compete in the Super Bowl. But this year’s win puts them one step closer to the title. 

The biggest key to the game for the Chiefs is how their defensive line can get through and how they can shut down passing opportunities for Brandon Aiyuk and Deebo Samuel

— varsity football team member Oliver Roman (11)

As both teams prepare for this high-stakes matchup, the spotlight rests on key players performing at their peak.

“The run game for the 49ers will likely be the deciding factor whether it be Brock Purdy scrambling out of pocket or Christian McCaffrey breaking tackles,” varsity football team member Oliver Roman (11) said. “The biggest key to the game for the Chiefs is how their defensive line can get through and how they can shut down passing opportunities for Brandon Aiyuk and Deebo Samuel.” 

In recent years, the Chiefs and 49ers have built a fiercely competitive history. The Chiefs defeated the 49ers 31-20 in the 2020 Super Bowl, with Mahomes as the Chiefs’ quarterback. 

The Super Bowl marks the culmination of the adrenaline and excitement after the season’s games, remaining an important tradition in its 58th year. Not only can viewers follow their favorite teams throughout the year, they can also participate in activities such as fantasy football, bringing together enthusiastic communities and avid fans.

“The best part about the Super Bowl is getting together with your friends and talking football,” history teacher Jonathan Rim said. “I have a group of friends from college years, and we have a fantasy league of over 25 years, so it’s a way for us to stay connected on almost a daily basis.”