DECA celebrates participation in DECA through ice cream social and more

Vivek Moorjani
Caden Ruan (10) holds a container of ice cream syrup outside of Manzanita Hall during the DECA Ice Cream Social on Nov. 3. DECA month celebrations continue with the final Hustle for Muscle volleyball games happening in the Athletic Center on Tuesday.

Harker DECA held an ice cream social in honor of DECA month outside of Manzanita Hall on Nov. 3 after school. 

Every November, DECA affiliates throughout North America celebrate their membership in DECA. As part of the celebration, Harker DECA hosts various events and activities like the ice cream social.

Around 30 members of the community attended the event, including students and teachers. DECA officer team representatives helped to ensure that everything operated smoothly and served vanilla ice cream along with toppings like oreos and chocolate sauce. 

Another event that DECA holds is the Hustle for Muscle volleyball game, which is an event where students and faculty compete for boba and gift cards. Representatives from each grade participate in a tournament leading up to the ultimate Students vs Faculty match. The juniors beat the sophomores and the seniors beat the frosh in the preliminaries on Nov. 6. The juniors and seniors will play in the student finals on Tuesday. 

To raise money for the cause, DECA is selling winter wishes until Nov. 28 and students can buy them from DECA by paying with a credit card, which are bags of treats that students can send to other community members on campus. DECA vice president of competitions Sanaa Bhorkar (11) notes some of the festivities included in celebration of DECA month. 

“We all just celebrate being a part of DECA and what DECA means and then some things that come with that. We usually [fundraise] for DECA, [but] this year we’re fundraising not for ourselves, but rather for the MDA, which is the Muscle Dystrophy Association. And every year we raise about $1,000.” 

Additionally, one of the festivities included in DECA month celebration involves Dine with DECA, an event where students can interact with business professionals over lunch on topics such as how technology has evolved as well as job opportunities, which is occurring on Nov. 29. This year’s activities fundraise for the Muscular Dystrophy Association (MDA). Director of Engagement Eden Kelly (10) notes one of her most memorable moments from DECA’s events. 

“Last year, I went to Dine with DECA as a freshman, and it was really fun,” Eden said. “I got to hear a lot about career opportunities and recent developments in tech. It was a really good opportunity to learn about tech and potential career opportunities.”

From Nov. 16 to 18, DECA plans to attend the Power Trip business conference in Austin, Texas. Officers from DECA strongly encourage underclassmen members to attend in order to learn more about the program. DECA Member Jahir Sandoval (9) is excited for the Power Trip and for improving his written plan, a business plan with a presentation component.

“We’re gonna have a good time, and I’m gonna learn a lot,” Jahir said. “It’s gonna be my first DECA trip. It’s more of a practice event for people like me that are novices, and it’s organized within DECA. I’m looking forward to working on my written as well.”