Varsity softball team beats Castilleja 6-5

Senior Ashely “Smashley” Del Alto hits a long ball to the outfield in the first inning of the game. In a nail-biter game, the softball team beat Castilleja 6-5.

“How fast was that? Too fast!” chanted the fans as senior Alison Rugar’s pitch flew past the batter. “STRRIKEEE!” announced the umpire, as the crowd cheered.

The softball team, led by co-captains Ashley Del Alto (12) and Alison defeated the Castilleja Gators 6-5 in a close battle today at the Blackford softball diamond.

Right off the bat, the team took the lead scoring three runs due to the batting skills of Alison “Sixer”, Ashley “Smashley”, and Nithya “Very Ready” Vemireddy (11), all nicknamed by announcer Kevin Mohanram (11).

“I always wanted to be an announcer, and I figured, why not get started?” he said. “Everyone loves nicknames, and it makes everything more interesting too.”

Today was Kevin’s first time announcing a softball game, and with the help of the team and other spectators, he tried to give each girl a nickname based on her actions.

The next two innings passed quickly, with neither team scoring a run. The fifth inning brought the Eagles ahead 5-0 with two runs batted in (RBI) from Ashley.

Between the fifth and sixth innings, a large swarm of bees shocked the crowd as they buzzed directly through the field and over the heads of many of the players.

“Don’t make noise like a flower,” assistant coach Daniel Hudkins joked as everyone froze in hopes of avoiding the bees. No one was stung, and the game continued after a brief pause.

In the fifth inning, the Castilleja Gators made a comeback bringing the score to 5-3, though the Eagled countered with an RBI by Briana Liang (10) in the sixth inning. With two final runs from the Gators, the game ended with a 6-5 victory for the Eagles.

Head Coach Raul Rios thought the team worked hard and earned today’s win.

“Today’s game was a nail-biter, but we knew what we were getting into,” he said. “They are always tough, they were last years league champs, and even though we got the lead early I told them it’s going to take seven innings to do it, and it took all the way until the last out to do it, great effort by them.“

This win places the team 4-0 in league play. The team hopes to qualify for CCS and be league champions.

“If we keep playing the way we are, I think we’re going to be very competitive and end up on top. Hopefully at the top of the league or at least able to qualify for CCS,” Rios said said. ”We’re on the right track; we’re 4 and 0, and they’re 12 league games. We have eight more to go, so we’ll take them one at a time.”

Sophomore Vivian Isenberg, who plays first base, had similar thoughts.

“My favorite part of softball is the way the whole team works together,” she said. “Obviously we want to make it to CCS this year and be league champions, and next season I guess work with losing a couple of seniors, but still keeping it going strong.”

Their next game is away on Thursday against Yerba Buena High School.