Marinara and Alfredo: Sophomore authors Amazon bestseller

Keira Chang’s children’s book explores the science of rainbows
Kairui Sun
Keira Chang (10) holds her self-published children’s book titled “Marinara and Alfredo: How Do Rainbows Work?” next to the periodic table exhibit in Nichols Hall. “Growing up, I had a lot of questions about STEM and science in general, and I know other children are like that too,” Keira said.

Studio lights guide Keira Chang (10) as she steps foot into KTVU Fox 2’s studio. The bustling newsroom falls into a hush as the countdown to the live broadcast commences. As the audience awaits to hear her story, she grapples with the dual sensations of thrill and pressure. 

Keira’s self-published children’s book titled “Marinara and Alfredo: How Do Rainbows Work?” rose to bestseller status on Amazon within one day of its initial release on Aug. 29 in four distinct categories: environmental science books, children’s light and sound books, children’s physics books and children’s environmental books. The story not only touched many children but also caught the attention of KTVU Fox 2 News, leading to an exclusive interview following the submission of her press release. 

“Initially it was pretty nerve-wracking, but when I went in there, the interviewer was very nice, welcoming and conversational, so I didn’t feel like I just had to keep talking the entire time,” Keira said. “I think generally it was like a really cool experience to see the behind the scenes of all those news stations because it definitely looks different from the screen than it does when you’re recording.”

The storyline involves two fictional characters, Marinara the Mouse and Alfredo the Monkey, who embark on an adventure to unravel the mystery behind rainbows. As a rainy day subsides, the colorful phenomenon piques their curiosity. 

Keira’s fascination with science traces back to her childhood when she pursued answers to the endless stream of scientific questions to understand the world around her. Realizing that many other children likely share similar experiences, she resolved to address their questions creatively.

It’s important to feed that curiosity with approachable answers to those questions and inspire them to continue pursuing STEM

— Keira Chang (10)

“Growing up, I had a lot of questions about STEM and science in general, and I know other children are like that too,” Keira said. “I think it’s important to feed that curiosity with approachable answers to those questions and inspire them to continue pursuing STEM. I hope that my book will light that spark in today’s kindergarten and elementary school students.”

Keira initiated the writing process by envisioning the idea of the book and shaping the personalities of the characters, drawing from personal experiences and interactions with her brother. She then created a detailed script and designed pages. To bring these ideas to life, she researched online for an illustrator, who translated her designs into animated visuals. 

Her accessible language in the story, along with captivating illustrations, appealed to a younger audience. 

It’s very fitting to be a children’s book,” close friend Alicia Yan (10) said. “As a high schooler writing a children’s book, you may overcomplicate certain things, but she made it very simple and clear in her book. If I were five, I would be able to understand it and it would be very [enjoyable] to read, especially with the colorful illustrations.”

After completing her book, Keira chose Amazon as her platform to self-publish due to its user-friendly interface and status as the largest online bookstore. 

Following the release, the news of bestseller status brought Keira a sense of accomplishment, validating her dedication to crafting a story that inspired curiosity within her young audience. She attributes her release day’s success to the shared enthusiasm of her family.

I also hope that the girls who read my book are going to especially feel inspired, as [I’m] a female author

— Keira Chang (10)

“It was really surprising,” Keira said. “I was glad that a lot of people wanted to support my book and share it with their friends. Initially, I didn’t have much of a platform, but my parents shared it with all their connections, and I shared it with my connections, and it was a big enough group of people that it was able to be big on launch day. The news station feature was also effective for marketing as the sales spiked up higher than on launch day.”

At the dawn of her literary journey, Keira envisions a broader purpose for her work. She plans to channel all profits from her book sales towards an organization dedicated to supporting young women in STEM. Additionally, she hopes that the book will instill scientific curiosity in readers.

“I hope that they’re going to be inspired to pursue their interest in STEM,” Keira said. “And I also hope that the girls who read my book are going to especially feel inspired, as [I’m] a female author, and I hope that it will bridge that gender gap.”