Students dive into spirit week

Nicole Tian

Katie Li (10) pulls herself up onto the inflatable unicorn float during today’s regatta race. Katie’s class, the sophomores, won the race, followed by the freshmen in second and the seniors and juniors in third.

by Emily Tan, Reporter

Today during lunch at the Singh Aquatic Center, members of the Harker community dressed in movie- and music-themed clothing filled up the bleachers they watched their fellow classmates and faculty participate in a series of pool events, inaugurating this year’s spirit week.

First up was the inflatable unicorn regatta race between classes, in which the sophomore class took the gold. Freshmen came up close as second, while juniors and seniors tied for third due to penalty points for not sitting on the unicorn. Next was the belly-flop contest, with performances from participating students and teachers alike. Among the students were Kai Burich (9), David Dai (9), Ray Wang (10), Nicholas Meissner (10), Scout McNealy (12) and Zachary Hoffman (12), Matthew Hajjar (12) and Vance Hirota (11), with Matthew coming out on top to take first place.

Students and faculty can support the sophomore and senior classes at 11:45 in the first round of the volleyball tournament tomorrow, held in the athletic center’s gym.