Harker Journalism staff tours and triumphs at 100th New York CSPA Spring Convention

Harker journalism members stand in front of the library in Columbia university. They attended the CSPA convention for three days.

NEW YORK — Twenty Harker journalism staff attended the Columbia Scholastic Press Association 100th annual Spring Convention at Columbia University in New York from March 13 to 15. 

1599 participants from across the country attended the convention at Columbia University. Over the course of three days, attendees had the option to visit 221 sessions focused on a variety of journalistic topics such as design, interviewing and storytelling.

“I attended a session on Friday morning, and it was with the Rolling Stones photo editor,” TALON student life editor Shiv Deokar (11) said. “I’m really into music, and the Rolling Stones is primarily a music magazine. Hearing him talk about how he’s shot for concerts and judge street artists was really cool. Everything about the different thoughts behind these shoots and photography sessions and hearing more about music journalism and business was great.”

Harker journalism members pose in front of a statue. They arrived in New York on Tuesday, and the convention began Wednesday. (Brandon Zau)

Harker attendees arrived on Tuesday, and the convention began on Wednesday morning with registration and sessions.They presented ‘Let’s Eat: How to make your illustrations, infographics and photos COOK!’ on Wednesday afternoon, and ‘Humans of [Your School]’ on Thursday.

On Wednesday night after a pizza dinner at Angelo’s Pizza, Harker Journalism students and chaperones watched the Broadway musical “& Juliet” in Sondheim Theater. On Thursday evening the group visited the High Line and walked to Chelsea Market where they ate dinner, shopped and engaged in the lively atmosphere.

“My favorite part of the trip was [visiting] the High Line,” co-Opinions Editor Isabella Lo (11) said. “It’s really cool to see artist’s displays on the tops of roofs and it’s interesting how they converted an old subway track into a nice walking path: it’s a quieter part of New York that I didn’t expect. We had a lot of fun together on this trip and made a lot of good memories.”

Harker journalism members visit the High Line. They later walked to Chelsea Market where they ate dinner, shopped and engaged in the lively atmosphere. (Brandon Zau)

The awards ceremony to honor the 2023 CSPA finalist took place Friday afternoon. CSPA recognized Harker Aquila and Winged Post as CSPA crown finalists, as well as Harker’s literary magazine, Harker Eclectic Literature & Media (HELM). Harker Aquila and HELM received Silver Crowns and The Winged Post received a Gold crown.

Following the awards ceremony, trip attendees visited the Riverside Church before a gala dinner at the Empire Steakhouse Midtown West location. On Saturday, one group explored Central Park while another visited the Stephen A. Schwarzman Building branch of the New York Public Library.

Director of Journalism Whitney Huang, CJE commented on the success of the trip and her hopes for the journalism staff.

“My hope for the journalism seniors and juniors is that they can start understanding the responsibilities and the accountability that they need to go forward and be successful in the world,” Huang said. “It’s a really wonderful opportunity — there’s so much educational learning at Columbia.”

Harker Journalism looks forward to attending the JEA/NSPA Spring Journalism Convention in Kansas City, Missouri from April 4-6.