Journalism presents ‘Let’s Eat!’ and ‘Humans of [Your School]’ at CSPA convention

Jessica Wang (11) points out areas of interest on illustrations during the “Let’s Eat” presentation. “I had a lot of fun talking about how infographics and illustrations work together to make a more cohesive page,” Victor said. (Katerina Matta)

NEW YORK — Ten upper school journalism staff members and adviser Whitney Huang, CJE presented two sessions at the Columbia Scholastic Press Association annual convention on Wednesday and Thursday.

Senior Brandon Zau and juniors Shiv Deokar, Victor Gong, Alison Yang and Jessica Wang led the inaugural presentation of “Let’s Eat: How to make your illustrations, infographics and photos COOK!” They discussed how to elevate visuals by layering with design techniques. Presenters showcased various print and digital examples from the Winged Post, Talon and Harker Aquila to over 90 attendees, highlighting integrated elements like photo illustrations, infographics or experimental page designs. Several slides showed different iterations of designs over the editing process, emphasizing the thought behind every visual.

A “Let’s Eat” presentation attendee flips through the third issue of The Winged Post. The presentation shared how to integrate visuals into both print and digital design. (Katerina Matta)

Faculty adviser Sarah Kappel from Germantown Friends School attended the presentation. She teaches design and enjoyed seeing Harker’s level of complexity.

“As a designer, I love when students share their work and can help us visualize what they are doing,” Kappel said. “I know all about this, but we’re not actually doing those things yet, so it was really inspirational to see you guys doing it and making me feel like we could do it in our school, too.”

Victor presented on the Winged Post. He said he enjoyed sharing his knowledge and receiving high audience engagement.

“I had a lot of fun talking about how infographics and illustrations work together to make a more cohesive page,” Victor said. “I noticed a lot of people taking photos, so they’re using this information in their own publications. It was a pretty packed crowd, so definitely a lot of people were interested.”

Audience members look on as “Let’s Eat” presents. “As a designer, I love when students share their work and can help us visualize what they are doing,” Attendee and student journalism adviser Kappel said. (Katerina Matta)

The second presentation, “Humans of [Your School],” focused on the Humans of Harker project. The profile series describes the stories and passions of Harker seniors, an annual series inspired by Brandon Stanton’s Humans of New York. Presenters emphasized their personal stories with the HoH project and outlined Harker’s own history with HoH. The presentation also emphasized Harker’s lessons learned from taking on this large-scale project, like organization techniques and ways to support staff.

Junior presenters Felix Chen, Vika Gautham, Anwen Hao, Katerina Matta and Chayce Milheim walked through the Humans of Harker process and shared tips for implementing the program with over 50 attendees.

News editor Felix Chen (12) opens the “Humans of [your school]” presentation during the New York Columbia Scholastic Press Association convention with the mission statement of the Humans of Harker project. (Brandon Zau)

Student journalist Eric Woods from Northview High School found the presentation informative.

“I really want to elevate our [yearbook] and look into talking about more stories,” Eric said. “I like a lot of the ideas they presented in this session. I’m not planning on taking it just for seniors; I want to take inspiration from it and make student profiles throughout the book.”

Journalism students look forward to attending the JEA/NSPA National High School Journalism Convention from April 4-6 in Kansas City, Missouri. They will also present three sessions: “Humans of [Your School],” “Comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable” and “Bringing smiles to your staff.”