Game Talk with Gabe: Yankees set to contend in 2024

A combination of subtle and glitzy offseason moves set up New York’s finest for success
Despite an underwhelming statistical performance with the team so far, onlookers expect Soto to have a big 2024. The young outfielder fits perfectly into the New York lineup, providing much-needed baserunners for a team that took an all-or-nothing approach in the past. (Katerina Matta)

New York, New York. Usually, it is a wonderful town for sports. For last year’s Yankees, though? Not so much. Coming off a 99-win season, the 2023 squad underperformed, missing the playoffs by seven games with an 82-80 record. For such a storied franchise, this paltry finish could not stand. Ahead of 2024, the Bronx Bombers now sit poised for a potential championship run, thanks to both the big and small moves made by the team’s front office.

The Yankees made their fair share of big-name splashes this winter. First and foremost, the team traded for Juan Soto, the young superstar who spent the past year playing for the San Diego Padres. Despite an underwhelming statistical performance with the team so far, onlookers expect Soto to have a big 2024. The young outfielder fits perfectly into the New York lineup, providing much-needed baserunners for a team that took an all-or-nothing approach in the past.

Starting pitching also took a priority spot in the Yankees’ offseason strategy. Frankie Montas will  return from injury after spending the entirety of last year out. The team signed Marcus Stroman, who served as a solid arm for the Chicago Cubs. Stroman joins a balanced rotation that already sports ace Gerrit Cole as well as Nestor Cortes and Carlos Rodon, both of whom had success in the past but suffered from injuries in the team’s last campaign. 

The Yankees have also touched up the less spotlighted parts of their roster. The team acquired two lefty relievers, Victor González and Caleb Ferguson, from the Los Angeles Dodgers in an effort to shore up the bullpen. They also made a trade with their hated rival, the Boston Red Sox, for outfielder Alex Verdugo

In all honesty, this year’s Yankees team is no slam-dunk World Series winner. With that being said, the skillful combination of personnel moves that combined big trades like Soto with smaller moves like the acquisitions of Stroman and Verdugo teach an important lesson about patience when developing a championship team. Instead of splitting up a team that has shown the potential to compete in the past, Yankees General Manager Brian Cashman and company bet on their previous moves while still making solid additions. This puts the Yankees in a strong position to compete in 2024 and could allow them to bring the World Series trophy back to the Bronx.