WiSTEM shares STEM knowledge in TechGirlz AI workshop

Mendy Mao
WiSTEM members prepare to start the AI workshop on Feb. 23. Volunteers discussed logistics like screen sharing and changes in the Google Slides before the workshop.

Women in STEM Club hosted a virtual TechGirlz AI workshop about AI algorithms and applications on Feb. 2 from 4-6 p.m. and on Feb. 23 from 3:30-5:30 p.m.

WiSTEM members led the event, and 26 girls in fifth to eighth grade from around the world attended the workshop. The workshop began with volunteers Anika Basu (9), Isabelle Niu (9), Keira Chang (10), Danika Gupta (10), Mendy Mao (10), Tanvi Sivakumar (10), Celina Xu (10), Linda Zeng (10), Kaitlyn Su (11), Sophia Zhu (11) and Julie Shi (12) introducing themselves and naming their favorite STEM subject. While one person went over each slide, other volunteers answered attendees’ questions in the Zoom chat. The volunteers used simple explanations and interactive examples to explain AI. They covered the definition of machine learning, the real-life application of AI and how it translates to code.

WiSTEM member Anika Basu (9), who went over machine learning in Python with attendees, enjoyed interacting with the kids and seeing their growing interest in AI. 

“I was really pleasantly surprised about how enthusiastic the kids were,” Anika said. “They were so energetic and lively, and their genuine excitement with the activities made the whole experience really fun.”

WiSTEM members prepared extensively for the workshop. Volunteers chose the slides they would cover during a WiSTEM meeting on Dec. 13 and participated in a volunteer orientation with a TechGirlz coordinator during long lunch on Jan. 9. The volunteers also met on Jan. 16 and Feb. 2 to rehearse their slides together after school, with WiSTEM officers offering advice on how to improve the lesson. Outreach coordinator Linda Zeng (10) was in charge of planning the event and ensuring the workshop ran smoothly. 

“It was really gratifying and relieving at the end when [the girls] told us that it was a really great experience,” Linda said. “It was super fun, because we were working so hard for [the workshop] to happen. Everyone put in so much work, and I’m so proud of what we did together.”

Club adviser Anita Chetty praised the volunteers’ dedication during a speech she made to the WiSTEM volunteers, and she sent upper school administration Jennifer Gargano, Paul Barsky and Brian Yager an email to recognize WiSTEM members’ work. She also called for the volunteers to consider presenting the workshop at the Harker Research Symposium.

“It was a really great workshop and I’m so proud of all our hard work,” Chetty said in her speech. “You reached students all across this country and you have no idea, you’ll never know the impact you had. But know for sure: you had an impact. You are changing the world.”

WiSTEM hosted four workshops in collaboration with TechGirlz this year, two focused on the basics of Scratch and two on AI. WiSTEM’s annual partnership with TechGirlz represents one aspect of the club’s efforts to foster STEM inclusivity at Harker and beyond.