Editorial: Low sports attendance harms Harker community

Margaret Cartee
While it would be unrealistic to ask students to deprioritize academics, maintaining a high academic standard does not require forgoing activities like sports games.

Shoulder pads collide as a Harker football player drives against their opponent to break a tackle in a close game. To an observer, it looks as if the sideline has been frozen in time. Teammates hold their breath. Coaches clutch their play sheets. A moment passes. The Eagles player completes the play, cheers ringing out from their fellow players and coaches. However, as the jubilation on the field rings out through the Davis Field, the excitement of the team falls flat. Near-empty stands surround the playing field, dampening the atmosphere. No matter what sport Harker athletes participate in, their classmates’ absence is an all-too-common sight.

In the years since remote learning, students have slowly but surely returned to the everyday activities of in-person school, from after school Spirit Kickoffs to club guest speaker events. Even so, sports rarely feature the same turnout, with the home bleachers nearly empty save for players’ parents and a few faithful fans. In a 24-hour survey conducted on Harker Aquila’s Instagram on Sept. 8, 32.7% of the 110 Harker students and alumni surveyed reported that they on average attend zero games per semester, and 41.8% attend between one and three. Only 18.2% of those surveyed attend between four and six games a semester, and 7.3% attend at least seven. 

This low student involvement reflects a much deeper issue than simple disinterest. In a school with a culture that heavily prioritizes academics, recreational activities like cheering on a friend at their game after school may seem like an unreasonable ask in the face of looming homework assignments and tests. When teams play in critical Central Coast Section (CCS) games, which often are not hosted at Harker, the added commute time only augments this obstacle. 

Similarly, the competitive nature of our community can at times hinder support for one another, as one classmate’s success can be viewed as another’s disadvantage. Even outside of academic settings, these pressures can arise, especially as teams advance and become more competitive. The individualism promoted by this sense of constant rivalry also proves detrimental to overall school spirit, taking away from the unity and teamwork athletics strives to promote.

While it would be unrealistic to ask students to deprioritize academics, maintaining a high academic standard does not require forgoing activities like sports games. Instead, students can attend games in part or plan ahead on homework and studying to ensure they have the time to support their fellow Eagles. Student-athletes work exceptionally hard over the course of their season, and in attending their matches we not only recognize their efforts but also contribute to our school community at large. This extends even outside of the athletics sphere, to activities like student research and the performing arts. Starting with sports, we can all develop a greater sense of unity and support for one another.  

As a result of Harker’s demanding curriculum, students should not feel forced to disengage from community events such as sports games to maintain their academic standards. Instead, students should try to recognize the value in these opportunities to invest in their community and make room for sports games in their schedule.