Junior varsity girls volleyball outplays Castilleja in two sets: 25-11, 25-18

Isabella Lo
Alison Yang (11) prepares to serve the ball in the junior varsity volleyball game versus Castilleja. The team won in two sets.

Junior varsity girls volleyball triumphed over Castilleja 25-11, 25-18 at home on Sept. 19.

Harker opened the game by scoring the first five points. After the Castilleja Gators rallied to within three points, middle blocker Eden Kelly (10) scored three quick points, bringing the score to 11-5 before Harker called a time out.

After a strong serve from co-captain and outside hitter Alison Yang (11), which brought the score to 22-9, Castilleja went on a 3-0 run. Opposite hitter Annabel Huang (9) finished off the first set 25-11.

“[The game] went well,” co-captain and setter Yifan Li (11) said. “There were some parts where we needed a little bit more energy. We were a little more quiet. There’s just some things we need to work on, like talking even when the other side is a little more quiet.”

In the second set, Harker pulled forward quickly 11-6, prompting a timeout from Castilleja. The Gators then pushed to tie the game at 12 and soon took their first lead at 13-12. The Eagles responded by going on a 9-3 run, bringing the score to 21-15. After a short 3-0 run from Castilleja, Harker capped off the set 25-18. 

“My passing today was fine, but in general I need to work on it,” Riya Samuel (9) said. “[I’m looking forward to] getting better [and] improving over the season.”

The team cheered each other on throughout the game. They also tried out new positions and worked on the weaknesses in their game.

“We worked on some hitting defense, when a ball is overpassed, how to react to it on the net and how to be comfortable on the net,” Head Coach Danielle Buis said. “I think the girls really applied that. We just learned it yesterday and they did a really great job of putting it into play today.”

Coach Buis highlighted the team’s hard work and camaraderie in practice. She talked about her excitement in watching the team continue to improve and learn through their efforts and positivity.

“They love each other so much,” Buis said. “It’s so cute to see them all bond, but I think continuing with that to transition into pushing each other to play better. I think we are venturing into that for the rest of the season.”

The team holds a 5-0 overall record and will face Crystal Springs Uplands at home on Thursday.