Junior varsity boys water polo scores 12-3 win against Fremont High School

Olivia Xu
David Kelly (9) lifts his arm in preparation to pass the ball. The junior varsity boys water polo team defeated Fremont High School 12-3 at home on Thursday.

Junior varsity boys water polo defeated Fremont High School 12-3 on Sept. 7. 

Despite a slow start, Harker soon pulled ahead as Alex Zhong (11) and Aman Chandran (10) scored one goal each to end the first quarter 2-0. The team continued to dominate in the second quarter, finishing 6-0 with David Kelly (9) scoring two goals and goalie Aidan Wang (11) blocking several Fremont shots. 

In the second half, the Eagles built upon their momentum. Fremont scored one goal in the third quarter and two in the fourth, but Harker bounced back, with Andre Lu (11) and Terry Xie (10) contributing two points each, and finished the game 12-3. 

“Sam [Li (9)] getting a goal was exciting because he’s a freshman and [it was] his first goal this year,” Terry said. “Other than that, playing defense in the first half [went well].”

Over the last few weeks, the team practiced various drills and plays that they successfully executed in the game. Using this game as a chance to develop their strategies, the team hopes to improve their record by learning from each game.

“[The game] went well,” George Yang (10) said. “It was a good chance for improvement because we weren’t against a particularly strong team, so we got to run a lot of plays. I hope we’ll get better than we were last year, and hopefully beat Palo Alto because they beat us a few days ago.”

The team took advantage of their practice with counterattacks to conquer Fremont in the game. Junior varsity boys water polo coach Victor Adler commends the team’s performance and looks forward to a successful season.

“We were able to execute our counterattack, which is something that we’ve been trying to practice, so I was happy about that,” Coach Adler said. “We just have to do what we do well and execute it well. That’s what we need.”

The team, which currently holds a 3-1 league record, will play next Tuesday at Gunn High School.