Blues and bass lines: Harker’s annual Evening of Jazz features student jazz groups from middle and upper school

Kelsey Wu (12) sings with accompaniment from the upper school's Jazz Band. Kelsey was among the seniors honored at the end of her performance.

Helen Zhu

Helen Zhu

Helen Zhu

by Arushi Saxena, Global Editor

Lights flooded the stage as a medley of saxophones embarked on a melody, softly accompanied by a piano riff which soon swelled in conjunction with the rest of the band. With a crash and a bang from the drums, Harker’s annual Evening of Jazz began.

Opening with a set by the middle school’s Jazz Band, the night featured three separate groups, each of which explored a variety of time periods through their performed pieces, ranging from 18th to 20th century repertoire from artists such as Chick Corea and John La Barbera.

Followed by the upper school Lab Band, the performers settled into the groove with a self-written song called “We Don’t Know.” The upper school Jazz Band finished off the night with a refined set of eight pieces, carefully curated to display the group’s musicality. With each student playing a playful solo, audience members clapped along and cheered as the musical set of the night came to a close.

However, the end of the pieces was not the end of the night. The 12 departing seniors from Jazz Band were honored with customized posters and flower bouquets, and posed on stage for pictures by various friends and family members. As the commemorations came to an end, Jazz Band Director Dr. David Hart congratulated the seniors heartily. The red curtains slowly drew shut, and as gracefully as it had begun, Harker’s Evening of Jazz was over.

Esha Gohil
Aaron Tran (9) plays a playful solo on his saxophone, marking an abrupt pause in the music filled in by his improvised melody.

Helen Zhu
Rahul Goyal (12) plays the baritone sax. Rahul is a member of the upper school’s Jazz Band, the closing group of the night.

Helen Zhu
Connie Xu (12) plays the upright bass as a member of the upper school’s Jazz Band. Connie was one of the seniors honored at the end of the night.

Esha Gohil
Jazz Band Director Dr. David Hart directs the Jazz Band in accompaniment to vocalist Kelsey Wu’s song.

Esha Gohil
Alex Rule (12) soulfully plays the trumpet. The upper school Jazz Band features several instrumental sections, with one being the trumpet section.

Helen Zhu
Jazz Band seniors gather on stage as they recieve parting gifts from the rest of their instrumental group. The seniors were honored at the end of Harker’s Evening of Jazz, celebrating their time with the music groups as well as their dedication to the arts.