Tennis team successful at tournament in Monterey

Last weekend, Varsity tennis traveled to Monterey for the 54th Santa Catalina Invitational Tournament, winning second place overall.

Individual victories include Jenny Chen (10) placing first in the number one singles flight. Jenny is the third student in a row at the Upper School to win this flight. Moreover, Shwetha Bharadwaj (9) won the number two singles flight.

The lineup at the tournament included Daria Karakoulka (10) as third and Chau Nguyen (10) as fourth. Both Daria and Chau made it to the semi finals.
Doubles teams were Tanya Piskun (11) and Katia Miranova (9) in the first spot, Aranshi Kumar (11) and Sahithya Prakash (9) as second, and Jaya Chandra (11) and Sylvie Dobrota (10) in third.

Number one doubles partners Tanya and Katia made it to the semi finals of their flight, but lost that match. Number two doubles played and lost in the second round against Saint Francis High School.

The team was tied for first place 40 – 40 with St. Francis High School until number three doubles team Jaya Chandra (11) and Sylvie Dobrota (10) lost straight sets.

In regard to the team’s performance at the tournament, Aranshi and Chau believe the team played well compared to their expectations.

“Last year we got second, and this year we got second, [and] next year we are definitely going to want to get first,” Aranshi said. “This year, I think we wanted to win, but it’s ok, it was a really good accomplishment, especially for a really young team. We don’t have many experienced players on the team, so it felt really good to show other teams that we could still do just as well with freshmen and sophomores.”

“I actually thought that our team last year was going to be better, but this year we have so much fun and we’re really good; our freshman are really good,” Chau said.

Head coach Craig Pasqua agreed that not having last year’s seniors on the team was an obstacle; however, he felt that the girls were able to overcome their anxiety.

“Of course, it is still evident that errors in consistency and shot selection were the major misfires, but these errors should diminish as the season moves forward. The team competed with more intensity and fervor than they have in the past,” Pasqua said. “We’re a team lacking major stars, but by pulling together and supporting one another, we’re able to use that team spirit as energy and propel us forward.”

In addition, Tanya added the team really bonded over the course of the tournament.

“I think it really helps the team bonding because you’re overnight with your team, [and] you get to know everyone. Plus it’s really early in the season too, so it kind of sets everything,” she said. “You experience a lot on the trip, lots of jokes, laughter, wins, triumphs, and you need to comfort your team when you lose too.”