Cross country competes in first meet of the season

This Saturday, September 18, the Cross Country team traveled to the Toro County Park near Salinas to compete in their first meet of the season, the Chieftain Classic Invitational.

Both the girls’ and boys’ Varsity teams raced against several schools across the Bay Area, ranging from Hollister to Aptos. Out of the 110 Varsity girl runners, Sophomore Ragini Battacharya set a personal record for the meet, earning her 22nd place.

Although Crystal Springs Upland was the only league competitor present, the meet enabled the athletes to gage their standings for the season.

“It lets everyone know where they’re at, and it lets the runners know what they need to focus on,” head coach Paul Nangle said.

Since this race runs the same course as the CCS Championship race at the end of the season, “it gives the runners an idea of what they’ll be running, and they can see what their times are at the beginning of the season, and then can compare it to the end of the season,” Nangle said.

Overall Nangle felt that the runners worked hard and did well in the race as a team. One of the team captains, Adarsh Ranganathan (12) also shared the same opinion.

“I feel like the team did really well, and everyone worked their hardest,” he said.

With less than two weeks before their league meet, the athletes plan to work hard to ensure their best performance in the San Bruno race.