Crushing Patriarchy in Five-Inch Heels

Contrary+to+popular+belief%2C+high+heels+are+not+a+symbol+of+the+sexualization+and+objectification+of+women.+Ironically%2C+females+began+wearing+heels+in+the+1630s+as+an+attempt+to+appropriate+masculine+power.+
Contrary to popular belief, high heels are not a symbol of the sexualization and objectification of women. Ironically, females began wearing heels in the 1630’s as an attempt to appropriate masculine power.

Mention “feminism” in a conversation, and you’ll either stir up controversy or at the minimum create a tangible discomfort in the air.

Feminism is the latest f-word to add to our list of conversational subject taboo. There’s nothing wrong with being female, and equality is seen as the right, democratic thing to do. But being a “feminist” is still just too much to admit to.

There are quite a few societal misconceptions attached to the concept of feminism. People assume that it comes hand in hand with being aggressive, and identifying as a feminist in public has almost become a transgression of social paradigm. Supposedly, feminists are all argumentative, hostile misandrists. No way any feminist would be caught dead cooking in a kitchen or wearing makeup, right? Wrong.

There have been women in generations before us who felt that they needed to be seen as a man to be taken seriously or to be warranted the same respect. Today, women are embracing their femininity and fighting for a place in the world amongst the ranks of men. From political representative Condoleezza Rice to pop culture icons like Yoko Ono, females break new ground everyday, paving the way for future generations in the workplace and society.

With that being said, there’s nothing wrong with being a tomboy. If you dislike wearing dresses or cringe at the thought of lip gloss, you can still call yourself a strong, independent female who advocates feminism. Moreover, you don’t have to be female to advocate women’s rights. Misandry and feminism are not synonymous terms – one is about advocating one gender of the other, and the other is about putting gender aside. True feminism is not hating men, but seeing women as deserving of equal rights and respect.

There is still a widespread anti-female stigma in corporations today. A 2010 study found that only 3% of Silicon Valley corporations have been founded by women and a mere 8% by mixed genders. The remaining 89%? All male. In the same study, Catherine Brady found that women in the Silicon Valley workforce only make 49 cents for every dollar that a man makes.

Women are constantly fighting for a place in the workforce, and their struggles do not go unnoticed. Women’s wages have been an issue of national concern since the 1963 Equal Pay Act, and more recently the 2009 Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act, which states that the 180-day statute of limitations for filing an equal-pay lawsuit resets with a new paycheck affected by that discriminatory action.

Furthermore, the public still sees something unfeminist in leaving work to remain at home. In a 2005 survey, the US Census Bureau concluded that there has been a 22% increase in stay-at-home moms. Deciding not to return to the workforce is a personal decision, and those who do choose this option should not be scorned or thought of any less.

Female and male advocates for gender equality should have the opportunity to openly voice their support, regardless of their style, gender identity, or personal decisions. Feminism is not a personality trait, but being feminine is. What we advocate and promote in the world shouldn’t determine what you can and can’t do.

I hate to state the strikingly obvious here, but I am indeed a feminist. When I was younger, a denim jacket was a staple in my wardrobe because it reminded me of the deliciously rebellious 1990′s feminist Julia Stiles character in 10 Things I Hate About You. Today, my phone wallpaper is a large floral text print that reads: “CRUSH THE PATRIARCHY.” My blog is comprised of pictures of cats, keyboard smashing over my latest media obsessions, and tirades on inequality; my Twitter feed is its shorter sibling – similarly impassioned rants in 140 words or less. And the icing on the cake: I’m also incredibly girly.

I wear makeup on a regular basis, not because I’m trying to be attractive for someone else, but because I enjoy it. My wardrobe is wonderfully polka-dotted, and I’m not even sure if I own more than ten shirts without a Peter Pan collar. I love the tutus I wear for ballet, and am a strong believer in the theory that wearing a pair of heels does gives me a competitive edge. Still, my “girly” preferences do not make me any less intelligent, strong, or deserving of respect than any other human being, nor do they ban me from being a feminist.

Perspectives on gender equality aren’t determined by whether or not you prefer an oversized band tee to a ruffled lace blouse. What you personally like or dislike doesn’t eliminate the possibility of being a feminist, or any other cause that you choose to advocate. I am proud to call myself feminist, and yes, my nails will be painted an obnoxiously bright shade of pink as I strangle the throat of misogyny.