Keller’s Korner – December 1

This week’s events encompassed life on campus, including an Eagle Buddies meet-up and a L.I.F.E. session, and concluding in a Speaker Series event featuring Khaled Hosseini.

“Eagle Buddies is always a highlight for me. I know that a lot of kids had fun. I spoke with [Lower School Division Head] Ms. [Sarah] Leonard and she said that the Lower School kids had a blast,” Butch Keller said. “The L.I.F.E events [on Thursday were also] very good. The students seemed to enjoy and embrace the topics that [the speaker] was talking about. The L.I.F.E. program and Eagle Buddies were in full swing.”

The junior class visited their fourth grade Eagle Buddies at the Bucknall campus on Thursday, November 29. Their first meeting of the year, the event included games and art projects. After eating lunch and bonding with their buddies, the group packaged holiday presents to give to children at another elementary school.

While the juniors spent time with the Lower School students, other classes took part in L.I.F.E. sessions at the Upper School. One of the speakers was a representative from Facebook who spoke to students about maintaining their online identities and addressed privacy precautions regarding social networking.

Finally, author of The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns Khaled Hosseini spoke at the Upper School as a part of the annual Speaker Series on Friday, November 30. Sophomore Sidhart Krishnamurthi contacted Hosseini’s manager last year after reading The Kite Runner in order to help set up the event. Interviewed by ABC 7 news anchor Cheryl Jennings, Hosseini shared some of his experiences in Afghanistan and about the novel writing process with the attendees.

More events to look forward to next week include the Holiday Show and seasonal spirit events.

<!–