Keller’s Korner – November 10

Following Homecoming, this week proved that spirit is still prevalent on campus. Commencing with the Junior State of America (JSA) Pizza and Politics session and a surprise spirit event, the week also featured several sports that qualified for Central Coast Section (CCS) playoffs.

“The three things that are highlighted I think are all pretty indicative of the life of a student at Harker with Pizza and Politics,” Butch Keller said. “We are a pretty savvy community in the political world. I also enjoyed the spirit event; it’s good to see that very serious people can let their hair down and have fun. And then I really enjoyed watching the kids get into supporting the [teams] in the CCS matches. It was a good week.”

JSA hosted a political viewing party for the presidential elections open to all Upper Schoolers on Tuesday, November 6. At 5:00 p.m., students flooded into the Bistro to share political views while enjoying pizza and drinks. Representatives of all grades attended, along with a few teachers and JSA advisor Daniel Hudkins. The event concluded at 6:30 p.m.

Students had the opportunity to participate in an interclass competition on Wednesday, November 7. Provided with supplies in the school colors, black, white, yellow, and green, each grade had to create two outfits for a girl and a boy. The seniors and sophomores reigned as victors in a tie, with the juniors in third and freshmen last.

Five fall sports qualified for CCS this year: water polo, volleyball, golf, tennis, and cross-country. Although the girls’ Varsity water polo team lost in their first round, this year marks their first time participating in CCS. The girls’ Varsity volleyball team won their first game of CCS and will proceed to the quarterfinal round against Soquel High School on Saturday, November 10. Meanwhile, girls’ golf and tennis had two qualifying athletes each: Patricia Huang (12) and Kristine Lin (11), and Katia Mironova (11) and Daria Karakoulka (12), respectively. The Varsity cross-country team has four representatives running in the Toro Park CCS championship on November 10 as well: Corey Gonzales (10), Tyler Yeats (12), Claudia Tischler (11), and Ragini Bhattacharya (12).

More events to look forward to next week include the food drive and updates on the girls’ and boys’ soccer teams.