Keller’s Korner – November 3

This week was packed with spirit events as well as inter-class competitions and concluded with the final football event of the season: the Homecoming game.

“[My favorite part of this week was] the impostor Mr. Keller [see below]. The faculty I think has embraced Homecoming week more than they ever have, at least at my time at Harker. It’s just been fun to watch everybody have fun. I know we’re getting work done, but we’re also having fun. [Homecoming] just comes at the perfect time of year,” Butch Keller said.

Throughout the week, students received class spirit points for dressing up according to their class Homecoming theme. This year’s overarching theme was Disney, so freshmen chose Pirates of the Caribbean, sophomores Toy Story, juniors The Lion King, and seniors High School Musical.

On Tuesday, October 30, all four grades debuted the eagles they painted. The sophomores won recognition for the best eagle. Meanwhile, a cup stacking spirit event was held during lunch. Freshmen dominated the first lunch; however, juniors took the lead during the second lunch.

With Halloween on Wednesday, all students were eligible to gain points for their class if they came to school in costumes. Senior Nikhil Panu dressed up as Keller himself. Additionally, the second annual Panoply of Chaos parade was held during long lunch, led by parade coordinator Andrew Irvine. During the parade, students showcased their class floats.

Another Disney-themed rendition of “Name that Tune” was held on Thursday as a spirit event. This time around, the seniors won during the first lunch with sophomores in first during the second lunch.

The spirit-filled week ended on Friday. Each class performed their skit during the rally with performances by the Varsity Dance Troupe, cheerleading team, and Jazz Band. The preliminary rounds of tug of war as well as a Homecoming Court relay race occurred between skits. Preceded by class and alumni tailgate parties, the game started later that evening. Final rounds of tug of war took place before the game and during half-time, resulting in a victory for the seniors. Seniors Maverick McNealy and Akarsha Gulukota were announced as the Homecoming King and Queen during half-time as well. Although the Varsity football team lost 35-49 to Lynbrook High School, they were supported by a cheering crowd throughout the game.

More events to look forward to next week include the start of the winter sport season.