Ashton Eaton’s coach Harry Marra shares his story and offers advice to athletes

Kirby Lee-US PRESSWIRE
Feb 26, 2012; Albuquerque, NM, USA; Ashton Eaton (left) talks with coach Harry Marra in the 2012 USA Indoor Championships at the Albuquerque Convention Center.

Before becoming the coach of the “World’s Greatest Athlete” Ashton Eaton or being named “Coach of the Year” twice by the Northern California Athletic Conference, Harry Marra was a deeply dedicated participant and educator in track and field.

Born and raised in Cohoes, New York, he was an involved athlete since his youth.

“The sport was very good to me in my developmental years, and I wanted to give something back [for] others to hopefully have the same experience,” Marra said.

Appearing only briefly to visit family members working on the Upper School campus, Marra was available exclusively through email interview.

Through high school, Marra also participated as a pole-vaulter and decathlete. According to the biography on his official website, Marra has spent over 51 years in total doing track and field, with more than 30 coming from his coaching experiences at high school, collegiate, and professional levels. He has served as a coach for Track and Field at San Francisco State for 12 years, devoting four years to Springfield College and the University of California at Santa Barbara. During his time as Head Coach of the USA National Decathlon Team from 1990 to 2000, the team set every single possible world record.

“I like the Heptathlon and [the] Decathlon; I really enjoy the challenge [of preparing] an athlete for seven events for the women and 10 events for the men,” Marra said, upon being questioned further about his preferences concerning athletic events.

More recently, Marra also coached Olympian Eaton, his current highest-scoring athlete. Eaton set the world record for the decathlon and two individual decathlon events during the Olympic Trials in Eugene, Oregon. He also won gold during the London Olympic Games themselves, further supporting his claim to fame as the “World’s Greatest Athlete.”

“[My favorite part of coaching] is being there each day [and] working with wide-eyed, optimistic youth who think [that] nothing can stop them,” Marra said. “[It’s] very rewarding to see the satisfaction in someone’s eyes [or] face after they have established the skill level they desire in a specific event.”

For other young athletes, Marra offers words of encouragement.

“Never give up. There will be way more failures than successes along the way. Learn from the failures so that the successes are that much more rewarding,” he said

Since 2010, Marra has continued to work with the Oregon Track Club. After a long day on the track, he especially likes watching old reruns of Seinfield.