New student feature series: Zoë Papakipos

Each year new students join the community and perpetuate the diversity of passions, experiences, and aspirations flourishing on campus. Reflecting on their first month of attending the Upper School, sophomores and juniors share their backgrounds and their stories of adjusting to a new environment.

On August 27, most juniors were reuniting with friends and looking forward to starting another year of high school this time as upperclassmen. On the other hand, Zoë Papakipos was beginning her first day at a new school.

Before she came to the Upper School, Zoë attended Palo Alto High School, with her older brother, who graduated last year.

“Harker’s definitely more academic. Everyone’s […] very well-rounded,” she said.

Within walking distance from her house, Zoë described Palo Alto High as a “smart” school that was more involved in sports. This is her first year at a private school; however, her sister has attended Girl’s Middle School.

Zoë felt that applying to colleges from the Upper School would be a smoother process.

“My brother just finished at Paly […] and my parents were disappointed with […] the college application process,” she said.

She feels that the environment is a “good place to be” in junior and senior year because of the academic environment and aid with the transition to college.

Integrating into the community, finding her way around, and memorizing her schedule have been challenges for Zoë. She also struggled with some academic concepts, which she had not previously learned. So far, her favorite class is physics.

Even though Zoë misses her friends and her chemistry teacher from Palo Alto, she feels that the Upper School “is very welcoming and everyone’s really, really friendly.” Furthermore, she prefers the open campus policy at her old school, although she likes the aesthetics of this campus.

During the summer before her junior year, Zoë attended a French camp on a private island, which she had previously attended as well. She also went to Hawaii with her family and took a class in product design, in which she hopes to major, at Brown University.

When she has free time, Zoë enjoys cooking and baking. She also enjoys studying art history, chemistry, and math and has been playing the piano since the age of seven. She takes music theory classes and is involved in debate, linguistics, and robotics.