Professional photographer guides journalism students through creating photo stories

Jessica Hu
Introduction to Journalism student Sarah Wang (9) captures fellow classmates Emma Lee (9) and Victoria Li (9) jumping midair. During photographer Mark Murray’s visit, students practiced shooting action photos and capturing motion.

Harker Journalist-in-Residence and Executive Director of the Association of Texas Photography Instructors Mark Murray gave photography tips to Introduction to Journalism classes and guided them through the process of creating photo stories from Feb. 20 through Feb. 23. 

Students practiced setting exposure and shutter speed and Murray provided in-depth explanations of camera features such as f-stop on the first day. He sent them out of the classroom in groups on the first day to prepare a photo story, a collection of pictures arranged in a narrative way. Each group also prepared specific photos to practice adjusting settings, like a picture that stopped motion and a picture that blurred motion.

Intro student Ethan Liang (9) found that practicing photography with Murray helped him improve. Ethan believes that photos are an integral part of journalism, and he hopes to continue improving his photography skills in the coming years. 

“It was very exciting to take photos of different things and exercise my knowledge, not just learn about it but put it to use,” Ethan said. “Photography fits really well [in journalism] because you have pictures and you have words, so you can pretty much fully describe every situation ever … It allows the reader to be more immersed in the story.”

Harker Journalist-in-Residence Mark Murray explains the structure of a photo story to the period 4 Introduction to Journalism class. “I’ve always been very passionate about photography,” Murray said. “I think photography can be a tool towards changing the world.” (Jessica Hu)

After students saved their photo stories, Murray looked over them on the second day together with the class to find areas of improvement. He gave each group feedback, then sent them out onto campus again to take new and improved photos. Once the students returned, he reaffirmed the importance of chronology with example photo stories.

Murray emphasized the importance of pictures because of their emotional impact. 

“It’s important to understand that we’re a very visual society,” Murray said. “Imagery tends to provoke more emotion and reaction than the written word does. One of the things that I’m the proudest of is all the students who didn’t go into photography, but still talk about getting better photos because of the things that they learned in photography class.”

Murray closed off with suggestions about how to prepare for and shoot photo stories. He emphasized visualizing your photos before shooting them and planning what photos to take using a shotlist.

Intro student Urvi Singhvi (9) described the power strong photos can have in journalism.

“Even though it might take multiple tries to get the perfect photo, I like the process of taking photos again and again, adjusting and improving,” Urvi said. “As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words, and I think that really applies to journalism.”

Frosh Cynthia Wang, Samaara Patil and Lily Peng check over their shared photos during Intro to Journalism class. Students split up into groups and took photos around campus to prepare a photo story. (Mendy Mao)