Varsity girls soccer ties with Menlo 1-1 in West Bay Athletic League opener

Suhani Gupta
Co-captain Anya Chauhan (12) receives a pass. This was the team’s first game of the WBAL.

Varsity girls soccer drew with Menlo 1-1 at home in the season’s first league match on Jan. 9.

Menlo scored 28 minutes into the second half after a scoreless first half. 

Co-captain and forward Claire Anderson (11) scored a free kick to equalize with 10 minutes remaining in the match. 

“It’s about keeping the ball down, picking a spot and placing it,” Claire said. “If you have a spot, it’s going in. My mindset is right in the corner, the one the goalie’s not in.”

The Knights’ offense dominated from the kickoff. Despite the Eagles’ slow offensive start, their defense locked down the Knights, overtaking possession near halftime. This pattern continued throughout the second half, building up to the Eagles’ counter to Menlo’s goal.   

“We wanted to frustrate them, make them break us down, which I thought worked really well in spurts,” Head coach Joel Mthombeni said. “But we conceded the first goal purely because our energy was a little low.” 

Harker failed to capitalize on a burst of momentum with four missed shots within a 10 minute span late in the first half. Menlo attempted four shots throughout the first half and three in the second, applying constant pressure against the Eagles’ defense.  

“I’d like to have consistent performance throughout the game,” Mthombeni said. “I don’t want to play well the last 15 minutes or the first five minutes.”

Co-captain and center-back Cynthia Wang (12) said the team hopes to improve their stamina and transitions between plays. She praised the defensive mid-block execution. 

“I’m proud of how everyone stepped up and pressed the team as hard as they could, and in the end, we got a nice goal out of it,” Cynthia said. “Of course, we want to get the win next time.” 

The Eagles’ current record is 5-4-2, and the team plays Notre Dame San Jose next at home on Tuesday. 

Additional reporting by Ananya Sriram.