School Meeting 11/14: campus cat ‘Tony,’ Honor week and Family Feud

Felix Chen
Riya Samuel (9) claps for the frosh class as they participate in a family feud competition. The senior class came out on top, followed by the sophomores, juniors and the frosh.

Associated Student Body President senior Daniel Lin commenced the school meeting on Nov. 14.

Head of School Brian Yager acknowledged rising levels of antisemitism in the United States and the hardships faced by the people directly impacted by the war between Israel and Hamas. He emphasized that Harker students should be respectful towards each other in the wake of rising antisemitism and anti-Muslim hate. Towards the end of his speech, Yager praised the Harker community for supporting and being kind to each other and asked students to keep the community a safe place by adhering to Harker’s core pillars. 

Winged Post co-Editors in Chief seniors Kinnera Mulam and Ariana Goetting previewed the third issue of their newspaper, which was distributed on Nov. 16. This issue featured both lighthearted pieces on topics like the meme “Skibidi toilet” and more serious topics such as the use of artificial intelligence to invade privacy.

Daniel returned to the floor to announce the results of a schoolwide poll on the name of a black cat with jade eyes that has recently been frequenting the Harker campus . He revealed that the cat would be named Tony, after upper school math teacher Anthony Silk, and announced a video of the cat which was later released on the Harker ASB Instagram.

ASB Lifestyle Committee members Fiona Yan (12) and Rushil Jaiswal (11) introduced improvements to the lunchtime logistics, including a vegetarian line in the Auxiliary Gym and a table for used trays and utensils that will be located near the Journalism room.

Honor Council representatives Margaret Cartee (12) and Jonathan Xue (11) reminded the school about Honor Week, which took place from Nov. 13 to Nov. 17, and stressed the focus on accountability for Nov. 14. They then invited upper school Speech and Debate teacher Scott Odekirk to speak on accountability. He emphasized that “great” people achieve their status by being accountable, not skilled. Instead of acting as a punishing agent, he described accountability as a trait that Harker students should follow to help both themselves and the world.  

Harker Spirit Leadership Team representatives juniors Daniel Chen and Kashish Priyam hosted Harker’s version of Family Feud. Three representatives from each class participated as a “family.” Over the course of three rounds, participants guessed Harker’s most popular answers to several questions, ranging from the most common Halloween costume to the best Thanksgiving dishes. The senior class came out on top, followed by the sophomores, juniors and the frosh.

Daniel congratulated the girls golf team and cross country runner Robinson Xiang (10) for qualifying for their respective Central Coast Section state championships. He also announced that students could destress with rocking chairs for students to destress in the Shah patio or quad or find food after the meeting in Manzanita Hall.