Club Corner: Harker Junior Classical League attends Northern California Latin Convention

Harker Junior Classical League members sit in bleachers during the Ludi General Assembly on Nov. 4 at Saint Francis Catholic High School. Students participated in a variety of activities like certamen, a classics-themed quiz bowl, and art competitions. (Provided by Lisa Masoni)

Harker Latin students and Junior Classical League (JCL) members attended the 2023 annual Northern California JCL gathering ​Ludi Novembres at St. Francis Catholic High School on Nov. 4. 

At Ludi, attendees participated in activities ranging from academic testing and certamen, a quiz bowl-type game with classics-themed questions, to a mythological spelling bee and art competitions. 

“JCL is there to tell you that it’s okay to love Latin, and it’s cool to love Latin,” National JCL Historian Trisha Iyer (12) said. “[At Ludi,] you get to do a lot of fun activities and really put yourself out there and bond with other people.”

For Harker JCL members, the day began at 6:45 a.m. with a bus ride from the upper school campus to Sacramento. Students arrived in time for registration before 10 a.m. and then attended the general assembly with all other attendees before being dismissed to academic testing. Each student who attends the convention needs to take at least one test in Roman Daily Life, Mythology, Derivatives, Vocabulary, Reading Comprehension or Grammar. 

“St. Francis did a wonderful job organizing the event,” upper school Latin teacher Scott Paterson said. “Harker delegates seemed to have fun and comported themselves excellently as good representatives of Harker. [We] were very pleased with the event and the students. I’m seeing rising enthusiasm, and we’re hopeful that [the] spring convention will be very well attended.”

JCL member Samuel Tong (10), who attended Ludi for the first time, shared his thoughts on the benefits of Ludi and the community the JCL brings.

“I think Ludi is a great way for people who take Latin to congregate and enjoy each other’s company,” Samuel said. “I plan to attend [more JCL events] such as state conventions and other Ludi Novembres in the future.”

As a member of the California Junior Classical League (CAJCL) for over two decades, Harker has had students and teachers represent the school in various positions on the state board and executive committee since 2002. Students also have served as national officers, most recently with Rupert Chen (‘23) as NJCL First Vice President and Trisha as NJCL Historian. Currently, Harker Latin teachers Paterson and Lisa Masoni are the California Academics Chair and the Treasurer of the CAJCL, respectively. 

“This year was at St. Francis, which was kind of funny because the first Ludi I ever went to was also at St. Francis back in sixth grade,” Trisha said. “Now I’m in 12th grade, so it’s kind of full circle. This is my last experience doing it as JCLer.”