School Meeting Recap 10/12/23: Artist in Residence, Chellaween and National Coming Out Day

Ella Guo
TEDxHarkerSchool Curators Daniel Lin (12) and Alena Suleiman (12) reveal the speakers for TEDxHarker 2023. The event will be held from 4 to 6:30 p.m on Friday in the Rothschild Performing Arts Center (RPAC).

Associated Student Body (ASB) President Daniel Lin (12) opened the fifth school meeting of the year on Thursday. 

Winged Post Co-Editors-in-Chief Ariana Goetting (12) and Kinnera Mulam (12) introduced the second issue of the Winged Post, announcing articles from various topics, such as the homecoming game and the Roman Empire trend. Copies of the issue are available in news box locations around campus, like in front of Shah or Nichols. Journalism staff members also distributed the papers on Friday.

Upper school English teacher Beth Wahl and upper school performing arts teacher Brandi Griffith explained the Shakespeare Monologue Competition which invites students to perform a monologue for a chance to win prizes and qualify for regional competitions. The information meeting took place last Thursday at 1 p.m. and the competition will occur on Nov. 18.

Upper school media arts teacher Joshua Martinez introduced the 2023-24 Artist in Residence, Pantea Karimi. Karimi displays her work in the Rothschild Performing Arts Center (RPAC) and will interact with all students from November to March.

After sharing a video for awareness about Alzheimer’s disease, founders of the Girls Give Back Foundation MacKenzie Blue (10), Minal Jalil (10) and Kimi Yashar (10) announced The Walk to End Alzheimer’s, which took place Saturday at Lake Cunningham Park. Students and faculty members wore purple clothing and stickers on Friday to commemorate loved ones and for awareness.

TEDxHarkerSchool Curators Alena Suleiman (12) and Daniel invited students to attend TEDxHarker 2023 this Friday in Nichols, which features speakers Don Box, Deepti Gupta and student speaker Rhiannon Sikand (12). No registration or fee is necessary to attend the event, and  multiple booths featuring small businesses will present their products.

Harker Spirit Leadership Team (HSLT) representative Charlotte Ludlow (10) announced the Athletes of the Week, including girls varsity water polo goalie Jasmine Hansra (10) and varsity football co-captain Daniel.

ASB Student Events Committee members Ameera Ramzan (9), Amishi Gupta (10), Sam Parupudi (11), Shareen Chahal (12) and Ella Lan (12) introduced Chellaween, a Halloween themed Quadchella on Oct. 31. Auditions are due by Sunday at 11:59 p.m., and students and staff can audition regardless of skill. 

Upper school history teacher Chuck Witschorik commemorated National Coming Out Day, which was on Oct. 11, and he explained his story of his experiences of coming out and what National Coming Out Day means to him. He also mentioned that the Gender Sexuality Alliance (GSA) handed out rainbow smiley stickers during lunch on Thursday to show support for the LGBTQ+ community. 

Cast member Iris Fu (12) talked about the fall play, “The Laramie Project,” which runs from Oct. 26-28 at 7 p.m. for all days. The play narrates the story of Matthew Shepard, a gay University of Wyoming student who was violently murdered. Students and faculty can purchase tickets and the show will run for two hours with a fifteen minute intermission.

Daniel praised students for keeping the campus clean and concluded the school meeting, reminding students that there were muffins in Manzanita Hall and hot drinks for seniors outside the RPAC.