Keller’s Korner – September 22

From a spirit competition to L.I.F.E. assemblies, this week included several events for the entire student body to take part in, while the Varsity girls’ tennis team participated in the Santa Catalina Invitational.

“When you talk about spirit events, Eagle Buddies, L.I.F.E., and the tennis tournament, I can’t say there was one highlight, because if you take the body of all of that work, it encompasses anybody who really wants to be involved in school,” Butch Keller said. “I think it was just a great week altogether. I enjoyed every day of it, actually.”

The Varsity girls’ tennis team competed in the annual Santa Catalina Tennis Invitational in Monterey from September 14 to September 15. Led by team captains Jenny Chen (12) and Sahithya Prakash (11), the team came in second out of 16. Chau Nguyen (12) and Izzy Gross (9) placed first in doubles, while Daria Karakoulka (12) placed third in singles. The team will play Crystal Springs Uplands School on Tuesday, September 25 at home.

Later in the week, the first spirit event of the year took place on Wednesday, September 19. The juniors defeated the sophomores, while the freshmen lost to the seniors. To determine who will win the competition, the final rounds will take place next week during long lunch.

On Thursday, September 20, the student body attended L.I.F.E. assemblies by grade, where they listened to guest speakers and learned about responsible behavior. Meanwhile, the senior class had a chance to bond with their fifth grade Eagle Buddies on Davis Field. Part of the Eagle Buddy meet-up included contributing to a canned food drive for Santa Clara families.

More events to look forward to next week include an update on the girls’ and boys’ Varsity water polo teams and the sophomore class trip.