Preview: Spring Spirit Week kicks off, with events and dress-up days to follow

Emma Gao

The class of 2026 works on their banner in front of Manzanita Hall after school Friday. Each class received a different city on which to theme their banner, with the frosh painting Chicago.

Spring Spirit Week, hosted by Harker Spirit Leadership Team (HSLT), will take place next week, featuring a different dress-up theme each day as well as events such as a sports showcase, regatta and the Spirit Rally.

The event kicked off yesterday after school with class banner paintings and signings. Each grade’s team of painters polished their work in front of Manzanita Hall, and students stopped by to help out or sign their respective grade’s banners. Each class will win spirit points based on the quality of their work.

Next week’s dress-ups and events will earn spirit points for each class as well. Throughout the week, students can win points for dressing up by checking in with HSLT in the Auxiliary Gym during lunch. Final spirit standings will be announced at the end of Friday’s Spirit Rally. Juniors currently lead the rankings with 2000 points, followed by seniors with 1725, frosh with 1475 and sophomores with 1250. 

Monday, 3/27: Spring Sports Rally and “Cities” dress-up

The spring sports rally will occur from 9:30 to 10:05 a.m. in the Zhang Athletic Center and showcase athletes from girls lacrosse, boys volleyball, boys golf, boys tennis, baseball, swimming and track and field. Activities will include cup stacking, guess the song and sports trivia.

In line with Monday’s dress-up theme of cities, seniors will wear clothing inspired by Los Angeles, juniors New York City, sophomores Las Vegas and frosh Chicago.

Tuesday, 3/28: Lego Building Competition (Ultimate Frisbee Cancelled) and “Salad dressing” dress-up

In response to the forecast of heavy rain for Tuesday, HSLT has combined the ultimate frisbee games and moved them to Thursday. Instead, they will host a lego skyscraper building contest in a classroom in Main during lunch. The winning grade will receive a prize.

On Tuesday, students will fashion salad dressing-inspired outfits, with seniors as ranch, juniors as blue cheese, sophomores as thousand island and frosh as caesar.

Wednesday, 3/29: Regatta, Belly Flop and “Dress Up or Down”

If the weather permits, the regatta and belly flop will take place at the pool from 9:30 to 10:30 a.m. For the regatta, four delegates per grade will compete in a race across the pool in floats. Depending on the severity of the weather, these events may not occur.

Students can choose to either dress-up or dress-down, which will win their class two points and one point, respectively.

Thursday, 3/30: Ultimate Frisbee Match and “Disney Day” dress-up

Ultimate frisbee will take place from 11:35 to 11:50 a.m. on Davis Field, featuring student volunteers from each grade level. Juniors and sophomores will take on the frosh and seniors, and the two winning grades will receive a gift of doughnut holes.

Students can dress up in Disney-themed merchandise or as a character from a Disney movie.

Friday, 3/31: Spirit Rally and Class Colors dress-up

The annual spring Spirit Rally will feature a scream-off, class dances and relay activities from 11:10 a.m. to 12:15 p.m. on Davis Field. At the end of the event, spirit coordinators will count the total number of points for each class and announce this year’s spirit winner.

Students will dress up in their class colors, with seniors sporting yellow, juniors black, sophomores white and frosh green.