Keller’s Korner – August 25

As August draws to a close, summer vacation winds down and the start of school rapidly approaches. This last week prior to the beginning of classes was far from quiet on the Upper School campus, featuring events from Student Council skit practices to freshmen orientation to Gym Jam.

The student council and ASB met on Monday, August 20, to prepare and practice the skit they will perform in front of the school on Matriculation to kick off the year. The skit will introduce freshmen into the Upper School community and give students a sense of the environment they will be a part of.

“Whoever invented freshmen 101 at Matriculation was a genius because it’s a fun way to talk about rules. Every year, I get to see different kids try to approach the same thing in a different way,” Upper School Division Head Butch Keller said.

On Friday, August 24, the incoming freshmen convened on campus to meet their advisors and participate in a day filled with outdoor activities. With help from their Upper School Link Crew members, the freshmen took part in APEX activities that required teamwork and facilitated advisory bonding, including relays and water-based events.

“The freshmen are coming in scared [and] anxious. [They] have no idea what is going to happen. [Freshmen orientation] is probably one of the most fun days you have,” Keller said. “Watching Doc Harley getting excited about this freshmen orientation is really fun.”

Gym Jam, an annual event for spirited students to gather and prepare for the upcoming school year, will take place on Saturday, August 25. Incoming freshmen through seniors will participate in activities and help plan events for the student body throughout the year.

“Gym jam is always fun. I love flipping burgers and seeing everybody eat, have fun, and get back together,” Keller said. “It’s a fun time, but it’s also one of the most fundamental days as far as setting the school’s foundation. The kids who are genuinely excited about school are there, and they’re making sure that the school year is going to go well.”