Keller’s Korner- March 16

This week features visits from various artists including an A Capella group and a poet, as well as an update on the Varsity track and field team.

“The highlight [of this week] was the fact that between ASB and the lecture series, we as a school brought to the student body some outside enrichment which is very important,” Butch Keller said. “The entire student body thoroughly enjoyed the A Capella group from Yale.”

On Wednesday, March 14, the Yale men’s A Capella group, The Society of Orpheus and Bacchus, visited the Upper School. They performed several numbers ranging from classic Disney songs to gospel music following a performance by the high school’s own A Capella group, Guy’s Gig. Additionally, the group hosted a workshop for students during lunch.

The Cum Laude lecture series continues to host speakers, including poet Joseph Lease, who visited the campus on Wednesday, March 7. Lease has been on the National Public Radio (NPR) and was featured in The Best American Poetry 2002. The lecture series will continue with the Head of School Christopher Nikoloff, who will combine his fifth and sixth lectures about “On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are” on Wednesday, March 21.

Led by captains Bradley Araki (12) and Tyler Yeats (11), the Varsity track and field team took part in their first meet of the year at the Willow Glen Invitational. Isabelle Connell (11) came in first place for the 200 meter and 400 meter field. Sumit Minocha (11) placed second in the 100 meter dash and first in the 200 meter dash. The team also took part in the first West Bay Athletic League (WBAL) track and field meet of the year on Wednesday, March 14.

More events to look forward to next week include a lecture from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) and the Gay Straight Alliance (GSA) club week.