Alumnus Sandip Nirmel dies of “extended illness,” the Crimson reports

Kshithija Mulam

Former ASB president Sandip Nirmel (’17) makes a speech at matriculation in 2016. The Harvard Crimson reported Friday that Sandip, who was a sophomore at Harvard University, died of “an extended illness” on Thursday.

by Eric Fang and Gloria Zhang

The Harvard Crimson reported Friday that alumni Sandip Nirmel (’17, Harvard ’21) died on Thursday after “an extended illness,” according to an email sent by Harvard College Dean Rakesh Khurana to students Friday morning.

Sandip was involved in the Harker upper school student council all four years, becoming ASB president his senior year. He was also an avid member of Model United Nations and the golf team. From giving a speech at the class of 2020’s matriculation to running school meetings, Sandip is remembered as a true and charismatic leader of the student body.

Donations can be made in Sandip’s name to the Guardian Angel Fund at the San Jose Animal Shelter, and students, faculty and friends are invited to send messages to Sandip’s family via the Alumni Office at the upper school.

An on-campus memorial service is currently being planned by The Harker School. Its date will be announced once plans are finalized.

This is a developing story. Check Harker Aquila for future updates.

Correction: A previous version of the article mistakenly reported that the memorial service open to students and faculty is being held by family. The article has been corrected accordingly.