School meeting recap 2/20/19

School meeting recap 2/20/19

Senior dodgeball players threw foam balls at freshman players, defeating them in the final game of the dodgeball tournament.

Kathy Fang

Kathy Fang

Kathy Fang

by Ryan Guan, Executive News Editor

The Eagle Update kicked off the first school meeting after February Break with a game of Simon Says. Boys soccer gained their first CCS win in history, while the boys and girls basketball teams both made it to CCS but lost in the first round.

Seniors won against freshmen in a game of dodgeball across the Athletic Center’s court.

The Honor Council senior representatives — Bobby Bloomquist, Taylor Lam, and Stephanie Xiao — announced Honor Week, a series of events hosted by the Honor Council to promote the four pillars of the Honor Code. Tuesday’s theme was Respect. Wednesday’s theme was Acceptance, Thursday’s was Honesty and Friday’s was Environment. In honor of the Acceptance theme, physics teacher Chris Spenner gave a speech about acceptance at the meeting, and a community bonding event took place in the Athletic Center MPR at 12:45 p.m.

The Science and Business Departments announced a joint challenge, the STEMnovation challenge, which asks teams of three to six members to submit a one-page business plan addressing a green issue. The winning team will receive $5,000 in seed money to pursue their idea, and the deadline is March 15. More information can be found at harker.io/stemnovation2019.

Spanish teacher Diana Moss announced a hike in the Coyote Ridge Open Space Preserve. Fifty spots are open for this guided docent hike, which will take place on March 9 from 8:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. Interested students, parents and teachers may fill out a permission slip and give it to Moss.

For their club week, the Future Problem Solvers will be selling Bundt cakes every day after school this week to fundraise for the Center for Urban Education about Sustainable Agriculture.