Keller’s Korner – February 3

This week’s events included the annual dance production, a cum laude poetry guest lecture, and Kicks Against Cancer.

“The dance production and Kicks Against Cancer had so many students involved and in their own distinct way took so much investment. […] To me both of those are heartwarming, as the Head of the Upper School, to see the kids that I know feel so wonderful about things,” said Butch Keller.

The Upper School dance production themed Dancing Through Life was held on Friday, January 27 and Saturday, January 28. Dancers of all grades began rehearsing in September led by four guest choreographers in addition to choreographers Karl Kuehn and Amalia De La Rosa. Styles ranged from lyrical to jazz to hip-hop.

As a part of the cum laude lecture series, San Francisco poet Robin Ekiss, winner of a Rona Jaffe Award, spoke to students about her work during long lunch on Wednesday, February 2 in Nichols Auditorium. Ekiss’s poems are based on toys and inspired by her childhood when her mother often created miniatures and doll houses.

The girl’s and boy’s soccer teams held Kicks Against Cancer on Wednesday, February 2. After selling t-shirts, hairbands and bracelets to raise money in the days preceding the event, the team will sponsor three families to go to Camp Okizu, a retreat for children suffering from cancer. During half time, people had the additional opportunity to donate by participating in games.

More events to look forward to next week include a spirit event, a performance by the improvisation troupe Baby Wants Candy, and a preview of the Spring sports season.