Humans of Harker: Diego Figueroa emits positive energy

+%E2%80%9CI+hope+to+be+remembered+as+the+guy+who+was+always+in+a+great+mood.+Never+really+sad+and+just+enjoying+himself.+I+just+want+to+be+remembered+as+that+guy+whose+aura+was+very+positive+and+just+because+of++him%2C+the+people+around+him+were+happy+as+well%2C%22+Diego+Figueroa+%2812%29+said.+

“I hope to be remembered as the guy who was always in a great mood. Never really sad and just enjoying himself. I just want to be remembered as that guy whose aura was very positive and just because of  him, the people around him were happy as well,

“I hope to be remembered as the guy who was always in a great mood. Never really sad and just enjoying himself. I just want to be remembered as that guy whose aura was very positive and just because of him, the people around him were happy as well," Diego Figueroa (12) said.

Melissa Kwan

Melissa Kwan

Melissa Kwan

by Nina Gee, Reporter

Public speaking is something Diego Figueroa (12) innately enjoys, whether it’s talking in front of a large crowd or something as simple as presenting in front of a classroom.

“I feel very in place [and] natural when I’m public speaking [and when I’m] communicating a message to somebody else,” Diego said.

His love for public speaking stems from his intrinsic love for talking to and meeting new people. He finds that connecting with people is something he enjoys doing on a daily basis.

“[Public speaking] kind of shaped my personality aspects of myself, where I try to be more outgoing, [meet] new people everyday, that kind of person,” he said. “I [like meeting new people]. It used to make me very uncomfortable but I try to do it enough where it becomes more natural now.”

He cites his friends as the people who inspired him to become more socially active, and go into business because of that.

“I feel like a lot of [business] comes with meeting new people, talking in front of larger crowds, and a lot of that does come from [my friends],” he said. 

Living and enjoying every moment is Diego’s philosophy in life, which is a message that is evident when he talks to people.

“Obviously, I try to keep the future in mind, but I just feel like there’s certain mindsets like I’ve never been one of those people who thinks ‘grind out a certain portion of your life in the off-chance that later on it pays off,’ you know what I mean? I just feel like you should be able to enjoy every moment of your life in the sense of ‘What if today is my last day on Earth, would I be happy today?’” he said. “You only got one life, you know what I mean? I just feel like you should enjoy it.”

When asked what he defines success as, he once again turns to happiness and positivity as his main motivations.

“[I define success as] happiness. So I guess whatever image of happiness you have within yourself, you’d be a good man if it’s that in real life. That’s success,” he said. 

Though the future is very unsure for him, one thing is certain: he wants to graduate high school having made a positive impression on people.

“I hope to be remembered as the guy who was always in a great mood,” he said. “Never really sad and just enjoying himself. I just want to be remembered as that guy whose aura was very positive and just because of him, the people around him were happy as well.”