Keller’s Korner — October 14

The week’s events comprised of the annual school picnic, the sophomore Eagle Buddies visit, and the freshmen service trip.

“The family picnic is one of the biggest events in the life of our Harker community, so to narrow that down to one picture is almost impossible, but we have that many people in our community together having a good time. How can you not say that’s the biggest event?” said Upper School Division Head Butch Keller. “But we [also] have Eagle Buddies happening. To me, that’s just crucial in our community in that we have our tenth graders and the third graders getting together for the first time and meeting their Eagle Buddies.”

Held every year on the second Sunday of October, the school-wide picnic is open to all members of the community. This year’s theme was Hats Off to Harker. Students, parents, and faculty paraded around the Blackford campus with their hats participating in various activities and games as the Performing Arts department provided live entertainment from singing to instrumental music.

Postponed by one week due to the “indoor recess” on October 5, the Eagle Buddies program for sophomores and third-graders, created by Butch Keller and coordinated by Upper School history teacher Carol Zink, took place on Tuesday, October 11. Sophomores left the campus and headed over to Bucknall for long lunch; third-graders were able to spend one and a half hours with their older mentors eating lunch, playing blacktop games, and making arts and crafts.

As sophomores and juniors were taking PSATs and seniors had the day off, the freshmen were split up into advisory groups and traveled to various sites to participate in community service on Wednesday October 12. One of the groups traveled to Resource Area For Teaching (RAFT), where they repackaged school supplies to sell to teachers for a low price, while another group went to EcoMagic to water 280 trees with 4,000 gallons of water.

More events to look forward to next week include alumni updates and club meetings and activities.