Keller’s Korner – September 23

Kellers Korner - September 23

Major events that occurred this week include the sophomore class trip to the ropes courses, the Santa Catalina Tennis Invitational, and the final rounds of the inter-grade dodgeball game.

“I liked the ropes course the most, not because the faculty didn’t win dodgeball this week, but [because] the ropes course is a class activity that increases bonding within the advisory [and] bonding within the class,” said Butch Keller, Upper School Division Head. “It’s all the right things about what we do outside the classroom. The bonding and stepping out of your comfort zone- the things that the ropes course demands are going to make a person a better student.”

The class of 2014 split up and traveled to two different ropes courses in Santa Cruz and La Honda on Monday, September 19. During the day, students spent time bonding and working together with their advisories. The ropes courses posed physical challenges to students as they climbed ropes and vertical obstacle courses in the woods, emphasizing traits of teamwork, communication, and creativity.

For the first time in the school’s history, the varsity girls’ tennis team placed first in the Santa Catalina Tennis Invitational in Monterey, held on September 16. Led by co-captains Tanya Piskun (12) and Jenny Chen (11), the team took the title of champion over 16 other schools. The team also won their other three games this week against Castilleja School, Fremont High School, and Evergreen Valley High School. (Photo from game against Fremont High School)

During Wednesday long lunch, the final sets of the dodgeball spirit event took place. In the first round, the sophomores and juniors vied for a game against the seniors; the juniors were triumphant in this round. As a result, the final rounds consisted of freshmen against sophomores and juniors against seniors. The juniors emerged victorious, followed by seniors in a close second, sophomores in third, and freshmen placing last. The winners had the opportunity to play the faculty and won that game as well. (See article on front page for more information)

More events to look forward to next week include the junior class trip, a cross country meet, and the first week of Dance Show practices.