Keller’s Korner – May 2

This week featured numerous events for students to attend including the TEDx conference, the annual art exhibition, and the end of year concert for singing groups.

“All the things we highlighted today in Keller’s Korner were exciting,” Butch Keller said. “Perhaps my favorite could be the art exhibit because you get to see the culmination of a lot of inspired work, but the TEDx conference being student driven is always fun to me. Those two are really exciting, plus the concert is always a fun thing to go too.”

The activities at the student run TEDx conference centered around the theme of “fostering youth entrepreneurship.” The conference included speeches from entrepreneurs including Jeff Rothschild, Salim Ali, Jeff Jordan, and Priyanka Jain, who all spoke about their experiences in the field. The 120 high school and college students in attendance were also able to spend lunch talking to the numerous entrepreneurs present.

The annual art exhibit featured over 150 pieces of various media. Students and teachers marveled at the works of art while enjoying a “face” cake and music provided by the Spirit Club. First and second place prizes were awarded in categories including drawing, painting, photography, digital graphics, sculpture, and ceramics. Senior Simon Orr won best in show.

The performing arts vocal concert featured a celebration of British music performed by Camerata, Cantilena, and Guys’ Gig. Additionally, Bel Canto and Downbeat sang summer inspired pieces to usher in the end of the school year. This was the last appearance for all of these groups together for this school year.